Questions About Replacing Cat - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions About Replacing Cat

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
dadstoys2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had a complete exhaust 2.5" pipes with highflow cat and flowmaster for under $275. The cat was $65 and the local shop welded it all high and tight.

Np435 trans w/ np205
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
dadstoys2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had a complete exhaust 2.5" pipes with highflow cat and flowmaster for under $275. The cat was $65 and the local shop welded it all high and tight.
Np435 trans w/ np205
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADDOG516 View Post
I just replaced mine with a flowmaster high performance cat that was a bolt on. After removing the skid plate I supported the tranny and tc with jack stands. (note: becareful with the transmission stabilizer stud if its old it could break , mine did got another one with much needed poly bushings for $11.00 from 4wd.com) I originally thought my YJ still had the factory cat which was welded on, I grinded off this weld so that I didnt have to cut the pipe (i didnt want to shorten my pipe), after cleaning up the pipe I bolted on my new cat and clamped everything down dam tight. The only pain was that the "direct fit" cat had a slightly larger diameter outlet than my muffler would recieve so I used a muffler pipe expander and opened it up. Buttuned it all back together and couldnt be happier with results. Just by replacing my cat I got back my 5th gear and have great fuel economy even with my 4banger and 33's. As I said I thought I had the factory cat but when I brought it to the scarp yard the guy showed me that this thing was a aftermarket which explains why it was welded on. O well he still gave me five bucks better than zero. good luck.
do you have tha part number for that stabilizer stud..? thanks
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
mongowo

mine was both, it had a flange that slide inside of the other one, and then clamps overtop of the joint....we had to use a propane torch to warm em up and expand the rust and corrosion before we were able to pull them apart!!
mongowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #20
mongowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
Are the tubes joined by a flange or exhaust clamp?
mine was both, it had a flange that slide inside of the other one, and then clamps overtop of the joint....we had to use a propane torch to warm em up and expand the rust and corrosion before we were able to pull them apart!!
mongowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
ROADDOG516
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ill get u the part # in a few hrs goin to bed
2013 JKU Sahara
ROADDOG516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.