Questions about putting TJ axles in my YJ D30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about putting TJ axles in my YJ D30

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
YJSos
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Questions about putting TJ axles in my YJ D30

I am rebuilding my Dana 30 which has the vacuum disconnect. I got a d30 from a 97 TJ which has the one piece passenger side shaft. I bought a kit from Complete Offroad which contains 2 seals and a block off plate: http://completeoffroad.com/i-123369-yj-disconnect-block-off-kit-w39147-kit.html
I read the how to on STU's web site (http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30convert/yjconvert-1.htm)

My Questions are:
Which seal goes where? I got 3 in the kit, maybe 2 go together?

In the pics on Stu's site it shows one seal by the pumpkin and one out by the outer edge of the disconnect area. Do I need to fill that area with gear oil also since its going to be 2 seals there?

"My Jeep Is Like A Bum, Always Begging For Change"

1989 YJ Patiently awaiting its new frame....
2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD trying to keep it stock but its not working
YJSos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can figure out which one goes out by the CAD, but it'll just get worn away because the shafts aren't machined there. I only put one at the pumpkin, I don't know which of the three you have. If you do a search by part number on Napa's website for part number 11800 you should be able to get sizes so you can match the seal. No need to add any fluid except in the pumpkin.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its pretty obvious what goes where when you take the axle apart. In the picture on the website the one on the left goes drivers side at the pumpkin. It Wouldn't fit passenger side if you wanted. With the other 2 find the one that fits in the driver side by the pumpkin. Press it in and don't even bother putting on the one by the disconnect.

Don't put fluid in the disconnect either. You'll only need the carrier lubed now.

I just finished up this exact swap yesterday. Bought both seals locally and made my own block off place.

-chris

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
YJSos
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!! I appreciate the help.

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
YJSos
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any suggestions on pressing the inner seal in? I fought it for a while last night and got nowhere.

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used a stick of 3/4" all thread(doesn't have to be threaded, just what I had) I put it through the axle tube on the opposite side, then I found a socket that fits perfect on the seal without messing it up. I held the socket while I made sure the seal went it straight then I had someone tap(hammer w/ a mallet) the rod to seat it all the way...

-chris

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used threaded rod with large washers that fit the seal nicely. Put some nuts on it that'll push the washers/seals as you tighten the nut. Assuming you're talking about the seal in the pumpkin? I used a couple different sized washers to step it up and allow the nut to push.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the carrier and tapped it in place with a hammer and big *** socket (1 3/8's I think)
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I pulled the carrier and tapped it in place with a hammer and big *** socket (1 3/8's I think)
This is what worked for me, just make sure the seal goes in evenly.

That kid looks like it comes with 3 seals, the two that are similar are for the differential, if its only the one seal, then the smaller of the two goes in the differential.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

For help installing passenger-side diff seal when going to one-piece shafts:
-Use the threaded rod and washer technique, or
-Get 1 or 2, 1" long extensions and a socket that fits around the edge of the seal perfectly, then go in from the driver's-side short tube, through the center of the diff, and rubber mallet the seal in using extensions and a very large socket. I found this option to be the easiest, it is even easier if you have someone with their hand inside the diff housing hoding the socket to the seal while someone beats on the end of the extensions (lightly).

Suggestion for maintenance on that passenger-side diff seal:

I recomend purchasing the alloy-usa front axle housing seals. They have them for sell at quadratec and other companies may make them for cheaper. Basically google "alloy usa axle shaft seal". These seals will lock water, dirt, mud, sand, small mamals, etc out of your axle tubes (no one likes small mamals in their tubes). This will prevent premature failure of that inner axle seal. As you will soon find out, that seal is a royal pain in the A** to install, and you don't want to be doing it all over again once your axle tubes fill with sand.

I highly recomend those lockout seals if your heep ever sees mud, sand, or water.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.