Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Questions about pulling engine and pulling distributor as well as other parts...

827 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Goobersbro 
#1 ·
So tomorrow I will be pulling the engine in the evening....So tomorrow during the day I need to pull the rest of the parts off the engine.....I have heard you have to like clock the distributor or like mark it where it is....so if someone could walk me through this that would be awesome.....Also is their anything else on the engine that has to be clocked before it gets pulled off????

Second question When I pull the engine to take to the machine shop is their anything I need to do....The engine from the oil pan to the valve cover is going to the machine shop....Someone was saying I need to take the engine to full stroke and then do something else so when I get it back the timeing is close but if I'm not taking the top off from the bottom then I think the machine shop will deal with this....So do I need to mark anything or will it be okay.....Also once I have the engine pulled from the transmission how exposed is the front of the transmission its just an out put shaft correct or is there a bunch of other stuff and how can I protect it just wrap it in plastic?????

Third question I was trying to pull brake lines and they wouldn't budge is there a special tool I need...This is like the dumbest question I have ever asked for sure:rofl: I had two different wrenches on on the top part of the bolt and one on the bottom and it was not wanting to budge at all like it was starting to strip the bolts so I stopped what am I doing wrong....Doesn't seem like they should be that seized up......

Also the lines going to my steering pump how do I get them off...I need to pull the lines from the steering pump and from the power steering itself on the pulley....how do I get those lines off do they just thread out....its what it looked like and they would turn but I didn't want to pull them because I wasn't 100% sure and don't want to be buying other junk.....

Thanks guys sorry for all the questions just young and learning...And yes my haynes manual will answer most of these questions but they don't answer while I'm sleeping:laugh: Thanks a ton guys you have all saved me thousands I almost owe you haha

See less See more
#2 ·
So tomorrow I will be pulling the engine in the evening....So tomorrow during the day I need to pull the rest of the parts off the engine.....I have heard you have to like clock the distributor or like mark it where it is....so if someone could walk me through this that would be awesome.....Also is their anything else on the engine that has to be clocked before it gets pulled off????

Second question When I pull the engine to take to the machine shop is their anything I need to do....The engine from the oil pan to the valve cover is going to the machine shop....Someone was saying I need to take the engine to full stroke and then do something else so when I get it back the timing is close but if I'm not taking the top off from the bottom then I think the machine shop will deal with this....So do I need to mark anything or will it be okay.....Also once I have the engine pulled from the transmission how exposed is the front of the transmission its just an out put shaft correct or is there a bunch of other stuff and how can I protect it just wrap it in plastic?????

Third question I was trying to pull brake lines and they wouldn't budge is there a special tool I need...This is like the dumbest question I have ever asked for sure:rofl: I had two different wrenches on on the top part of the bolt and one on the bottom and it was not wanting to budge at all like it was starting to strip the bolts so I stopped what am I doing wrong....Doesn't seem like they should be that seized up......

Also the lines going to my steering pump how do I get them off...I need to pull the lines from the steering pump and from the power steering itself on the pulley....how do I get those lines off do they just thread out....its what it looked like and they would turn but I didn't want to pull them because I wasn't 100% sure and don't want to be buying other junk.....

Thanks guys sorry for all the questions just young and learning...And yes my haynes manual will answer most of these questions but they don't answer while I'm sleeping:laugh: Thanks a ton guys you have all saved me thousands I almost owe you haha
If the motor is being pulled and is being brought to a machine shop, there is absolutely no reason to worry about timing as this will change due to the motor being tore down. All you need to concern yourself with in this regard is to keep the push rods and rockers in order. Take a 2"x6" block of wood and drill a hole that will accommodate each push rod for each cylinder (intake and exhaust valve). Remove each push rod and insert in the 2x4 hole and label it for the cylinder# and valve (intake or exhaust). The rocker can be layed over the appropriate push rod. It is important to keep these in order as these are not typically replaced on a rebuild. You can present these to the shop to reinstall or install them yourself when you get the motor back. When you have the rebuilt long block in hand, that is the time that you have to worry about setting up the distributer timing. This is a piece of cake, but let's wait until the time comes and then post back if you need help. A shop will typically charge for the block to be tore down, (head removal, piston, crank, camshaft, ect....) But in the very least keep track of the relationship of the push rods and rockers to their respective cylinders and valves.

#3 ·
The shop is replacing the push rods and rockers as well as everything else...My boss is paying for the rebuild so I am having them replace everything.

As for the distributer your saying basicly just pull it and later on I can come back and figure it out I don't need to mark it...just double checking haha

#8 ·
There are other methods, but I find that watching the intake valve close while rotating to TDC to be with out a doubt accurate when setting up the distributer. Just ask the shop not to fully install the VC so that you can do this. Should not be an issue.
Got it I just want to make sure I don't screw anything over:laugh: I can't affored to do something wrong and have to replace something if I'm going to have this finished in september

Thank you idaholtby for you help....

As for the steering pump those hoses do just thread out yea???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.