Questions about mirror relocation brackets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about mirror relocation brackets

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Questions about mirror relocation brackets

These things seem straight forward and simple. Get the right one for your year/model Jeep. Bolt it on. Move your existing mirrors to the brackets, and off your doors come. Cake, right? Not for me.

The only problem seems to be that most of the brackets marketed for a YJ like this one from rugged ridge. Don't fit. I have a pair sitting on my kitchen counter to prove it. Normally, I figure that the picture is some canned generic picture used to give an idea of what's inside the box and the same picture is used for all models even if they are different. This picture is spot on with what I received though.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mirror-...lack-8685.html

The holes on these "no drill" brackets do not even line up with either of my preexisting windshield brackets.

I looked though the other YJ mirror bracket offerings at Morris, and all brackets but one looked to be identical. The one that was different actually looks like it should be a perfect fit.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior...t-war1505.html

Did I get the wrong brackets, am I just being really obtuse and missing something, or are there different brackets for different years?

I just want to add that Virginia requires at least one side view mirror, or this wouldn't really be an issue.

SquidsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
These things seem straight forward and simple. Get the right one for your year/model Jeep. Bolt it on. Move your existing mirrors to the brackets, and off your doors come. Cake, right? Not for me.

The only problem seems to be that most of the brackets marketed for a YJ like this one from rugged ridge. Don't fit. I have a pair sitting on my kitchen counter to prove it. Normally, I figure that the picture is some canned generic picture used to give an idea of what's inside the box and the same picture is used for all models even if they are different. This picture is spot on with what I received though.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mirror-...lack-8685.html

The holes on these "no drill" brackets do not even line up with either of my preexisting windshield brackets.

I looked though the other YJ mirror bracket offerings at Morris, and all brackets but one looked to be identical. The one that was different actually looks like it should be a perfect fit.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior...t-war1505.html

Did I get the wrong brackets, am I just being really obtuse and missing something, or are there different brackets for different years?

I just want to add that Virginia requires at least one side view mirror, or this wouldn't really be an issue.
Call morris 4x4 up and talk to someone there. They are more than willing to help you out with this. You may of recieved the wrong parts.
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK. So I feel silly. I was gonna call Morris today when I got home. When I pull into the parking lot, I notice a doorless YJ. Thinking back on it, I probably looked silly as I walked over to it muttering about mirrors and brackets under my breath. I probably looked even sillier when the lights went off and I realized that I had the right brackets and was trying to put them in the wrong place.

Now I need to remove the CJ style mirror mounts and get these installed and my mirror relocated.

If anyone needs/wants the CJ style mirror mounts, let me know and I can get them in an envelope and in the mail in relatively short order.
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Nice!
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They fit like this. You will have a hard time seeing the passenger side one unless you find a mirror that sticks out further, and if you put a 1/2 door with 1/2 soft top door you won't see it at all.
mirror-bracket-lf.jpg   mirror-bracket-rt.jpg  

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
bdheaton
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since I'm in the middle of putting mine on right now, let me just say...

@#$%#$^#$%&#$%&$#%& TORX BOLTS!!!!!
bdheaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
They fit like this. You will have a hard time seeing the passenger side one unless you find a mirror that sticks out further, and if you put a 1/2 door with 1/2 soft top door you won't see it at all.
Thanks, that saves me from having to find a replacement for the passenger side mirror that isn't there. The YJ has good enough visibility that I don't usually need a mirror on the passenger side, but sometimes those dang chrome lights on the windshield brackets fool me into thinking they're a mirror at first glance.

One of the PO's hooked me up by removing those specific torx bolts and installing some stainless hex head bolts and what looks like a CJ style mirror bracket.
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdheaton View Post
Since I'm in the middle of putting mine on right now, let me just say...

@#$%#$^#$%&#$%&$#%& TORX BOLTS!!!!!
You can say that again.. Im going to replace all mine with just a regular phillips head screw
stcarter44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
Thanks, that saves me from having to find a replacement for the passenger side mirror that isn't there. The YJ has good enough visibility that I don't usually need a mirror on the passenger side, but sometimes those dang chrome lights on the windshield brackets fool me into thinking they're a mirror at first glance.

One of the PO's hooked me up by removing those specific torx bolts and installing some stainless hex head bolts and what looks like a CJ style mirror bracket.
remember by law you must have 2 mirrors on a vehicle.

I need to have the passenger one because for some unknown reason I can't get a rearview to stay on my windshield, I have tried to glue one on 4 times but the first bump and they come down. (Yes, I do know how to do it I have done it a hundred times on other vehicles and it always works on them.)

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the crappy door mounted small mirrors on my full steel doors. Is there a larger option that will replace these and use the same mounting holes? I hate to have to redrill different holes for these.

If I go to the windshield bracket mounts is there a blank plate I can use to block off the old mirror mounting holes or do I have to weld them closed to keep water out of the door?

See ya,

Pat
qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post
I have the crappy door mounted small mirrors on my full steel doors. Is there a larger option that will replace these and use the same mounting holes? I hate to have to redrill different holes for these.

If I go to the windshield bracket mounts is there a blank plate I can use to block off the old mirror mounting holes or do I have to weld them closed to keep water out of the door?

See ya,

Pat

You could just bondo or fiberglass resin the small holes since you won't be using them again.

Unread 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post

See ya,

Pat
I haven't seen any blank plates, but you could try using button head type screws and RTV to seal up the holes on your doors. It will be water proof and non permanent if you ever decide to go back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.