Questions about mirror relocation brackets - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
Questions about mirror relocation brackets

These things seem straight forward and simple. Get the right one for your year/model Jeep. Bolt it on. Move your existing mirrors to the brackets, and off your doors come. Cake, right? Not for me.

The only problem seems to be that most of the brackets marketed for a YJ like this one from rugged ridge. Don't fit. I have a pair sitting on my kitchen counter to prove it. Normally, I figure that the picture is some canned generic picture used to give an idea of what's inside the box and the same picture is used for all models even if they are different. This picture is spot on with what I received though.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mirror-...lack-8685.html

The holes on these "no drill" brackets do not even line up with either of my preexisting windshield brackets.


I looked though the other YJ mirror bracket offerings at Morris, and all brackets but one looked to be identical. The one that was different actually looks like it should be a perfect fit.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior...t-war1505.html

Did I get the wrong brackets, am I just being really obtuse and missing something, or are there different brackets for different years?

I just want to add that Virginia requires at least one side view mirror, or this wouldn't really be an issue.

SquidsYJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
phil1330
Registered User
1964 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lexington
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
These things seem straight forward and simple. Get the right one for your year/model Jeep. Bolt it on. Move your existing mirrors to the brackets, and off your doors come. Cake, right? Not for me.

The only problem seems to be that most of the brackets marketed for a YJ like this one from rugged ridge. Don't fit. I have a pair sitting on my kitchen counter to prove it. Normally, I figure that the picture is some canned generic picture used to give an idea of what's inside the box and the same picture is used for all models even if they are different. This picture is spot on with what I received though.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mirror-...lack-8685.html

The holes on these "no drill" brackets do not even line up with either of my preexisting windshield brackets.


I looked though the other YJ mirror bracket offerings at Morris, and all brackets but one looked to be identical. The one that was different actually looks like it should be a perfect fit.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior...t-war1505.html

Did I get the wrong brackets, am I just being really obtuse and missing something, or are there different brackets for different years?

I just want to add that Virginia requires at least one side view mirror, or this wouldn't really be an issue.
Call morris 4x4 up and talk to someone there. They are more than willing to help you out with this. You may of recieved the wrong parts.

"Life is hard, it's harder if your're stupid"...The Duke
phil1330 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
OK. So I feel silly. I was gonna call Morris today when I got home. When I pull into the parking lot, I notice a doorless YJ. Thinking back on it, I probably looked silly as I walked over to it muttering about mirrors and brackets under my breath. I probably looked even sillier when the lights went off and I realized that I had the right brackets and was trying to put them in the wrong place.

Now I need to remove the CJ style mirror mounts and get these installed and my mirror relocated.


If anyone needs/wants the CJ style mirror mounts, let me know and I can get them in an envelope and in the mail in relatively short order.
SquidsYJ is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
phil1330
Registered User
1964 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lexington
Posts: 451
Nice!

"Life is hard, it's harder if your're stupid"...The Duke
phil1330 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park
Posts: 1,941
They fit like this. You will have a hard time seeing the passenger side one unless you find a mirror that sticks out further, and if you put a 1/2 door with 1/2 soft top door you won't see it at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror bracket LF.jpg   mirror bracket RT.jpg  

Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
bdheaton
Junior Member
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yelm
Posts: 47
Since I'm in the middle of putting mine on right now, let me just say...

@#$%#$^#$%&#$%&$#%& TORX BOLTS!!!!!
bdheaton is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
They fit like this. You will have a hard time seeing the passenger side one unless you find a mirror that sticks out further, and if you put a 1/2 door with 1/2 soft top door you won't see it at all.
Thanks, that saves me from having to find a replacement for the passenger side mirror that isn't there. The YJ has good enough visibility that I don't usually need a mirror on the passenger side, but sometimes those dang chrome lights on the windshield brackets fool me into thinking they're a mirror at first glance.

One of the PO's hooked me up by removing those specific torx bolts and installing some stainless hex head bolts and what looks like a CJ style mirror bracket.
SquidsYJ is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM
stcarter44
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: raynham
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdheaton View Post
Since I'm in the middle of putting mine on right now, let me just say...

@#$%#$^#$%&#$%&$#%& TORX BOLTS!!!!!
You can say that again.. Im going to replace all mine with just a regular phillips head screw
stcarter44 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 AM
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
Thanks, that saves me from having to find a replacement for the passenger side mirror that isn't there. The YJ has good enough visibility that I don't usually need a mirror on the passenger side, but sometimes those dang chrome lights on the windshield brackets fool me into thinking they're a mirror at first glance.

One of the PO's hooked me up by removing those specific torx bolts and installing some stainless hex head bolts and what looks like a CJ style mirror bracket.
remember by law you must have 2 mirrors on a vehicle.

I need to have the passenger one because for some unknown reason I can't get a rearview to stay on my windshield, I have tried to glue one on 4 times but the first bump and they come down. (Yes, I do know how to do it I have done it a hundred times on other vehicles and it always works on them.)

Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM
qlfarm
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: State College
Posts: 221
I have the crappy door mounted small mirrors on my full steel doors. Is there a larger option that will replace these and use the same mounting holes? I hate to have to redrill different holes for these.

If I go to the windshield bracket mounts is there a blank plate I can use to block off the old mirror mounting holes or do I have to weld them closed to keep water out of the door?

See ya,

Pat
qlfarm is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post
I have the crappy door mounted small mirrors on my full steel doors. Is there a larger option that will replace these and use the same mounting holes? I hate to have to redrill different holes for these.

If I go to the windshield bracket mounts is there a blank plate I can use to block off the old mirror mounting holes or do I have to weld them closed to keep water out of the door?

See ya,

Pat


You could just bondo or fiberglass resin the small holes since you won't be using them again.

Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post
I have the crappy door mounted small mirrors on my full steel doors. Is there a larger option that will replace these and use the same mounting holes? I hate to have to redrill different holes for these.

If I go to the windshield bracket mounts is there a blank plate I can use to block off the old mirror mounting holes or do I have to weld them closed to keep water out of the door?

See ya,

Pat
I haven't seen any blank plates, but you could try using button head type screws and RTV to seal up the holes on your doors. It will be water proof and non permanent if you ever decide to go back.
SquidsYJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
i got mirror relocation brackets but can't see passenger mirror thelazerviking TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 07-21-2015 08:38 PM
Mirror relocation brackets jameskehler YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 09-16-2008 12:55 PM
mirror relocation brackets- help paroxysym YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 06-22-2006 01:05 PM
Mirror relocation brackets Spiderman TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 15 04-19-2004 07:15 PM
Mirror Relocation Brackets rockhopper TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 08-25-2003 03:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome