Questions about lifting my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about lifting my YJ

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-20-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
JeepYJ295

Questions about lifting my YJ

Hey Yall, I am installing 3" leaf spring blocks (bringing the leaf springs from under the axle to on top of the axle then blocking them up 3") and a 3" shackle lift, and will be running 32x11.50x15's. Do I need to make any hose extensions, brake extensions, or any adjustments at all or will i be fine? Thanks!

'94 YJ, black, 3" lift, 31x10.50x15, 2% window tint on all windows, Flowmaster 40 muffler, huge sound system with JL 12" W0 & Rockford amp, Viper alarm, CB/PA, Lights, aftermarket carpeting kit & very nice interior! Bought it for $1200 & my girlfriend loves it too! :)
JeepYJ295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
West

I'm not real familiar with the math involved here but I thought I read that SOA gives you 4-5 inches of lift. Plus 3 inch blocks between springs and axle, and 3 inch shackle lift? That seems to add up to 10 or 11 iches of lift? I may be wrong but it sounds like everything conected to axles will need modifying.
West is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2002, 01:47 AM   #3
Billy Badass

I have to agree with west, but I most say that your jeep will look really funny with only 32, I would go with at least 35's. Drive shaft, brake lines, stearing, track arm, both drive shafts, dransfer case drop, and you will have to shorten the rear output shaft from the transfer case. But I must say that if you choose to lift your jeep this way it won't last long, I know it's cheap, but not very evvective. With the shackle lift you will actually have about the same ground clearance as you do stock. Plus bumb stear will be horrible, and your stability will be gone, to high with to bad of suspension, with to small of a tire. I'm not trying to put you do, please don't take it that way. Just trying to give you the best and safest advide that i can. Hay but if you accept the risk and you like it thats all that matters.

If it ain't broke you ain't play'n hard enough.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
RatherBeJeeping

What about the amount of spring wrap you'll get with that set up?
Unread 01-21-2002, 01:44 PM   #5
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Blocks are dangerous!!! Especially in the front. DO NOT USE BLOCKS!!! also 3" shackle lift is not a good idea either. i'd stay at a maximum of 2.5(personally 1" is as high as i would go.) causes caster problems in the front, which in turn causes handling problems. a spring over(springs on top of axles will net you 5-6"s of lift. this is more then enough for 32's more like 33-35's. If i were you i'd get a 1-1.5" shackle and maybe a 1-2" body lift and run your 32's. or a 3-4" lift kit.
good luck,
bob
P.S. BLOCKS ARE DANGEROUS
Unread 01-21-2002, 02:42 PM   #6
AJ

Go ahead with the lift and sell tickets. A trip around the block will be more exciting than anything at the amusement parks. Seriously, 2 1/2" lift will clear 32's really easily. Stock will clear 31's without too much rubbing.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:47 PM   #7
Brendan

Thats crazy!!! you'll kill yourself. Blocks are no good, 3" of shackle lift will screw up the sterring system, and I doubt you know much about SOA's or you would know not to do that other stuff. YOu should probably buy a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. That will be more than enough to start your on your way.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
PuebloIV

All I've ever read about blocks have the same message...DON'T.
Unread 01-22-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
rollinashortysahara

dude if you wan that much lift start soa , then go bigger axles then lift springs if you need to be that big needless to say this is expencive but you won't die when yo prss the brakes and your axles rollover cause of 3inch lift blocks
rollinashortysahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #10
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepYJ295:
Hey Yall, I am installing 3" leaf spring blocks (bringing the leaf springs from under the axle to on top of the axle then blocking them up 3") and a 3" shackle lift, and will be running 32x11.50x15's. Do I need to make any hose extensions, brake extensions, or any adjustments at all or will i be fine? Thanks!
DANGEROUS, and in quite a few states, ILLEGAL
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2002, 10:10 PM   #11
YJ boy

I agree with rock and billy. I done a soa on my 90 YJ it liftef it up 5 inches I have a good write up about it if you need it just e-mail me. I also put 33's and there is still room for at least 35 I will send you a picture of it if you need. and last but not least DO NOT USE BLOCKS !!!!!!!!!! [img]null[/img]
YJ boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.