Questions about 4.3 swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about 4.3 swap?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
upnorthbacon

Questions about 4.3 swap?

Got my hands on a chevy s-10 with decent miles on it to swap into my YJ. I'm not planning anything extreme going with 33's and eventually 8.8 and maybe 35's. I currently am doing a frame off on a 94YJ that came with the 2.5. It sounds like my easiest swap would be transfer all the running gear from the chevy to my yj including the chevy's transfer case. It's my understanding that the transfer case should match up with my driveshafts for lengths and such? I've been trying to research but haven't found a lot yet. It's my understanding I need to swap the chevy fuel pump into the Jeep sending unit. I'm planning on using all the wiring harness computer etc from the truck and transfering it to the jeep. I'm sure there will still be a lot of electrical issues to deal with such as gauges, and such. Has anyone performed the swap that I can ask questions as I go along? I'm guessing I'm going to run into quite a few questions as I complete the swap.

upnorthbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
BIGWILL78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.3 is a frequent into the samuri's and tracker's, but I have not heard of many that have put them in Jeeps. That is where I would look for info on that is in that market, as many people put them in there. Hope that helps your search.
BIGWILL78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well well well.......just started taking the blazer apart tonite! i got a new frame for everything to go onto, my current frame is rusting from the inside, and thats after i did a frame off!
i have been told that the fuel pump will work for the 4.3, so that shouldnt be a problem.....
i am currently looking into the 231c, i have a sye for my 231j, and am hoping to just swap it over to the chevy one, as the blazer has the 231c heavy duty, so get bigger chain etc and would like to keep it!
drop me a line and we'll compare notes/headaches...
martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
spaz51

Check over at pirate4x4.com. There are several guys that did the 4.3 swap on the forum.
spaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have done the 4.3 chevy swap in my jeep and i love it... I used the painless wiring harness and a remote fuel pump mounted on the frame rail.. easyiest way to do the conversion.. I have tired to use the factory harness but i found that wires were brittle and needed to much to weed thru.. for the money it is worth alot less headaches if you use the painless wiring harness. if you go the the website you can download the directions to the wiring harness and it give all the part numbers of what you need.. Part number for the harness is 60101 if you are interseted.. What i did for the transfer case is i split the 231c and the 231j and just used the sye and rear half of the tc and bolted it back together. so the case is split half front chevy and jeep rear.. so you can call it a 231c/j LOL.. if you want you can look at my member pages and check out my pictures of the process. If you have any question feel free to ask and i will try to answer if i can.. I will give you a list of the part numbers for all the stuff and where to get it..

Summit racing

1: advance adapters motor mounts ADD-713007
2: painless wiring harness PRF-60101
3: Vehicle speed sensor PRF-60115
4: carter fuel pump CRT-P5001
5: B&M Sport shifter BMM-80776

Novak Conversions

1: tranny mount adapter RM103

and of course from the local auto parts you need all the misc stuff like fuel line, fitting, fluids, nuts and bolts.

I also used factory headers from a 1985 chevy monte carlo v-6 4.3, for the stock exhaust manifold suck for deep water crossings..LOL. I also made my own tranny mount out of a 2 in square tubing. I also kept the stock jeep radiator for it is a 3row and just made my own hoses to mate it to the chevy motor. Also made my own air cleaner assembly , Air hat off a caddilac, hose from a 94 jeep gc, box from a chevy truck ( i actually forgot where the air box came from but i will post pictures so you can see the set up. I had to get the driveshaft front shortened and rear lengthened.
If i can remember anything else i will post it.

I hope this help alittle.
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you have any question feel free to ask and i will try to answer
well if you wanna email me step by step instructions...that'll be just dandy...
i already decided to try and use the rear jeep t/c and the front chevy t/c halves, so that looks like a winner.....
do you think the painless kit is worth the money?? and what all does it entail, as far as the parts they send etc etc etc.i have had the howell harness highly recomended to me......think they brian said it was $795 inc new fuel pump...
can shoot me an email if it is better, leftlanetruckin@aol.com

thanks in advance, there is a thread i just started before i noticed this one...had a hard few days!
thanks
martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
well if you wanna email me step by step instructions...that'll be just dandy...
i already decided to try and use the rear jeep t/c and the front chevy t/c halves, so that looks like a winner.....
do you think the painless kit is worth the money?? and what all does it entail, as far as the parts they send etc etc etc.i have had the howell harness highly recomended to me......think they brian said it was $795 inc new fuel pump...
can shoot me an email if it is better, leftlanetruckin@aol.com

thanks in advance, there is a thread i just started before i noticed this one...had a hard few days!
thanks
martin
Yes i have used it and it worked perfectly.. alot less headaches.
with this harness you reuse the stock chevy brain and all you need to get is the fuel pump.. I havent used the howell harness so i cant give you an honest answer.. as far as the parts that come with the painless harness i just the wiring and all the connectors for all the electronics and sensors.. you reuse part of your jeep harness for the gauges, fuel, oil, temp, and tach. it was easy for me for i have access to all-data so all the colors of the jeep harness where easy to figure out. As far as step by step instructions , i dont have any. so while you are doing the conversion and run into something give me a shout and i will try and help you out.

just a bit of advice dont let the driveshafts dictate the placement of the engine, this way you can put the motor where you want and if you ever want to put a v8 in you can. just my 2cents.
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i am going to bring up the dead so i can use this info for my 4.3 swap

thanks
Unread 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
private

How hard would it be to swap a 4.3 with the chevy 5spd (NV3500) into a YJ?

It seems hard to dig this info up. Seems like everyone goes for the automatics.
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private View Post
How hard would it be to swap a 4.3 with the chevy 5spd (NV3500) into a YJ?

It seems hard to dig this info up. Seems like everyone goes for the automatics.
If it is a tranny that came behind the 4.3, then just as easy if not easier (no wiring for the tranny). If it came behind the 4.3 in 4wd applications, then the 231 will bolt right to it.
Only thing you would need to do is arrange the clutch to work with the Jeep cylinder, which should not be an issue IMHO.

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
private

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
If it is a tranny that came behind the 4.3, then just as easy if not easier (no wiring for the tranny). If it came behind the 4.3 in 4wd applications, then the 231 will bolt right to it.
Only thing you would need to do is arrange the clutch to work with the Jeep cylinder, which should not be an issue IMHO.

Martin
I know this is in a YJ forum but, what about a newer 4.3 into a TJ?
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

leftlane

what wiring harness did you use? Painless seems to not have one that will plug right into my YJ and 03 4.3 setup...but Howell does...weird
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiradelli777 View Post
leftlane

what wiring harness did you use? Painless seems to not have one that will plug right into my YJ and 03 4.3 setup...but Howell does...weird

PRF-60101+ - JEGS High Performance

Do you have a link to the Howell kit? How "easy" is it?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

they told me it was a plug-n-play kit with all the right adapters to each plug
Unread 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiradelli777 View Post
they told me it was a plug-n-play kit with all the right adapters to each plug
You called them or what? Do you have the part number or kit name or a link to the kit?
I'm all for plug and play. I have a lot of playing to do.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.