A question for you 4 cylinder owners... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A question for you 4 cylinder owners...

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for all the input on this guys. I'm still torn; I'm absolutely OK with the 4 cylinder now, it's having the auto and how degrading it seems I'm more concerned about. This weekend however, I'm supposed to go see it, so I'll take it for a good thorough test drive, including a little highway ride, just to see how bad it could really be. If it is at the very least livable, I'm in 100%. The other night the owner sent me pictures of the engine bay and undercarriage; it's even cleaner than the exterior is in those pics! I'm just drooling over this thing right now haha.

Thanks again for all the different opinions, I always like to hear from people with first-hand, hands-on experience because they will tell it like it is, no assumptions.

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
hunger06
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't pass up a Jeep that clean for that price no matter the engine/transmission. You drive 10 minutes to work so overdrive shouldn't be that much of an issue. Go for it and start planning for an upgrade if you hate it.
hunger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ with the 2.5L. I find it adequate. I think the issue you should consider if its what you'll want two or more years from now.

If you have the $3000 to drop into now and it won't make a difference to your Jeep buying budget later, definitely go for it. If you can save up another $3000 and have $6000 in a year, I say wait and buy later.

However the YJ you're looking at does look good, and I think you could sell it for $3000 in a year with no problem.
TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLeader View Post
I have a TJ with the 2.5L. I find it adequate. I think the issue you should consider if its what you'll want two or more years from now.

If you have the $3000 to drop into now and it won't make a difference to your Jeep buying budget later, definitely go for it. If you can save up another $3000 and have $6000 in a year, I say wait and buy later.

However the YJ you're looking at does look good, and I think you could sell it for $3000 in a year with no problem.
**** ill buy it for 3 grand in a year if he doeant want it and its still that clean

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also to keep in mind, that 1995 will have a full galavinized frame and tub which is the reason you see so many clean 1995's out there! Plus, for some reason that seat material cloth they used on the Rio appears to be very durable as I rarely see them ripped! The auto will really make it a slug, but if you stay with maybe 235's it might be ok. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a throttle body from a 4.0 and swapping it onto the 2.5 and it will help. Around here, if it's solid, I would buy it all day long for that price and if you HAD to have a 4.0.... but a rotted out Jeep and swap them over (granted, frame welding is required for the mounts and you will need to swap the tranny and wiring, but it's a weekend job if you have the other stuff out.

PS: that color is special just to the Rio Grande "PV1" is Light Mynx Pearl Met.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNDENT View Post
I have a 94 4cyl auto and i love it. Yes it's underpowered with the 3.73 gears and 35's but my commute is identical to yours and i don't mind. everyone is different though. Mine is locked front and rear and, like i said, on 35's but i kind of think the lower power keeps me from breaking things Also, my experience with this one is that it has been VERY dependable. i bought it with 122k miles and it now has 150k. I did a compression test a couple months ago just to see where it was at and the numbers were between 144 and 151 so it's doing well. By the way, if it checks out, that looks like a great deal.

4 banger YJ's came with 4.10 gears...
KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Always read the stickies.

forumrunner_20130719_223139.png
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

like the others have mentioned, that auto is the only real downside there. At least with a manual you can make it scream to get up those hills but from what it sounds like, a 10 min drive won't see too many of those. Mine was very clean when I bought mine with 115000 miles for $3500 so that price is definitely better than most. If you don't mind the relatively weak and parasitic auto in there then heck go for it, just keep the tires size under 30 or 31 inches

Also, I've driven 4 cyls all my life so to me the amc 2.5L isnt necessarily the least powerful vehicle ive owned.
Just my 2 cents
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would buy that car. I have the 4 banger and 5 speed and really enjoy it. Just got 23 mpg this week in it. I'm sure the automatic will make it slower, but if that thing has working air conditioning I'd buy it today. I'd much rather have a clean and rust free 4 banger instead of a rusty, trashed 6 cylinder. I've always liked those Rio seats too.
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #25
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 95 4 banger with 33's and 410 gears is fine for me.Do I wish it had a 6 sure but it does fine wheeling and driving around town,now take it over 45mph and thats a different story.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
1946Flattie
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a very clean looking YJ for the money, but only you can answer the question as to whether the power is adequate for your needs. Most of the general public would be fine with that drivetrain combo, but you'll also have to be honest with yourself as to possible future mods. If it were me, I'd buy it, keep it bone stock and rock it every day. There are plenty of other cars you could spend $3k on that will be worth squat in a couple of years and that little Jeep, if taken care of, will always be worth at least that much.

That being said, I live in a very hilly area, so if I wanted something that I even remotely wanted to mod for better offroad performance, like say larger than 30" tires, I'd look elsewhere for a 4.0 HO model or at the very least a manual transmission equipped 4 cylinder. The main reason being is that (in my opinion) by the time you overcome the deficiencies of the weak drivetrain to compensate for the added height of the tires and extra weight of accessories, higher rolling & wind resistance, etc. you'd be in the neighborhood of buying a 4.0 equipped model.

Just my opinion, and as I said, that's a clean looking little YJ
1946Flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
Acidhouse
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it even still around? Something like that around here would go pretty quick.
Red Jeep Member #231
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As said before. "If you keep it stock you will be fine." If you want bigger tires etc. think about it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.