Question regarding front axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question regarding front axle

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Question regarding front axle -- Fixed!

Hello all,
I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 87 the other day. Putting the wheels back on, I noticed that on the right (passenger) side, the axle portion (not the knuckle) of the assembly had a lot of play, whereas the driver's side does not. When I say play, I mean I can move the rotor assembly back and forth, and see the U-joint moving with it. My thoughts are that this is the "short axle" side and it's normal, but I wanted to be sure by asking the experts here. My experience is limited when it comes to 4-wheel drive drivetrains.

Thanks

Edit: I shouldn't say "back and forth". I should have said "up and down" and "left and right".

Last edited by hdfxrs91; 02-28-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Semantics
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad unit (wheel) bearing to me.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Unit bearing is shot

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, that is the short side actually, but it sounds like a bearings bad like he said, does your wheel ever shake alittle while driving?
Rocky_Cosmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No shaking, but now that I think about, I did hear a knock on that side now and then. Thanks for all the replies.
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Gobi_Gred
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not a diffucult repair. There are 3 12-point bolts on the back side of the knuckle. Then there is a BIG nut that holds the axle onto it.

Most likely it is all rusted together. What I have done is take the axle out with the bearing and work on it on the bench.

If you can find a good one at the junkyard(impossible around here) you can just slide the whole new one in and only deal with those 3 bolts
Gobi_Gred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know I'm being lazy by not going to the garage to get the Haynes manual, but are the bearings pressed in like a front-wheel drive unit or are they tapered bearings like a normal hub?
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they are a unit bearing meaning that you unbolt the whole assy with 3 bolts, toss it, and bolt on the eniter new hub, wheel studs and all.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I see. Thanks. I thought it might have been a repairable item. Silly me, what was I thinking? It is a Jeep after all.

$84 at NAPA
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
sequel

When you go to remove the unit bearing from the knuckle, usually they are stuck on there pretty good. Here is the easy and cheap way to get them off:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I bought a new unit bearing (Advance Auto, $70), and nearly split a kidney trying to get that nut off. Haynes manual says 175 ft-lbs. Luckily I have friend that works at a garage, and he'll get that off for me. What do you guys do to get it back on, though? Put the wheel on the ground and torque it from there? Or jam prybar in the studs and let it hit against the ground?
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I put a wrench inbetween the knuckle and the axle shaft and crank it back on with a breaker bar.
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got it done today. Really is not that bad of a job. Of course the unit refused to budge, but a gear puller and a few light taps with a 3lb sledge work wonders. It seemed to be stuck more on the knuckle than on the splined shaft. Well, onto the next job... replacing the slave cylinder.
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
John92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a bearing going out so I was just going to replace the bearing but you guys are saying I haft to replace the hole hub is that right?
John92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John92YJ View Post
I have a bearing going out so I was just going to replace the bearing but you guys are saying I haft to replace the hole hub is that right?

The front is a unit bearing...aka it has the hub and a sealed bearing all as one unit. Pretty common in today's cars.
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.