question regarding factory replacement "heavy duty springs" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question regarding factory replacement "heavy duty springs"

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

question regarding factory replacement "heavy duty springs"

I want to replace the old sagging springs on my jeep, I currently have 1 inch lift boomerang shackles on it giving me 1 inch of lift and a 1 inch body lift

my question is, what is the deal with the "heavy duty" standard replacement springs, as opposed to the "standard" duty replacement springs ?

is there a difference in height between the two ? a difference in ride quality ?

I recently did a 350 sbc swap so the front end is about 50lbs heavier than stock up front, thus why i'm considering the "heavy duty" spring set

Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the "heavy duty" would be for the hard top. Mine came with a soft top and the tires scrub the fenders on rolling bumps with the hard top on.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

In case someone suggests lift springs, I'd rather keep the jeep with just a 1 inch suspension lift as not to effect with it's on-road manners and stability too much, the toughest obstacle i'll see is a snowday or two in a year.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I believe the "heavy duty" would be for the hard top. Mine came with a soft top and the tires scrub the fenders on rolling bumps with the hard top on.

i see, mine came standard with a hardtop, so i guess i should just go straight with the heavy duty set
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzero117
In case someone suggests lift springs, I'd rather keep the jeep with just a 1 inch suspension lift as not to effect with it's on-road manners and stability too much, the toughest obstacle i'll see is a snowday or two in a year.
I understand. Personally I'd weigh the 1"-1.5" lift spring options to help with the additional weight of the motor.

And in your case I'd go with the heavy duty.

Edit: Yeah, what you said.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heavy vs regular is simply added spring rate and sometimes added leaf to a pack. 4 pack spring with lower spring rate is regular duty. 5 pack or more with higher spring rate is heavy duty. Accounts for hard top, heavy bumpers, winch, etc..
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
bmedeiros678
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heavy was for hardtop. Just replaced my wife's last year with stock replacement heavy duty from crown. Was under 400.00 for all four if I remember correctly. I live in MA so am able to deal with them directly.
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at both Crown springs and lift springs when I upgraded last year. I ultimately decided to go with lift springs, but that was my decision. If I had not gone with lift springs, heavy duty Crowns would have been my second choice. The Heavy Duty springs are supposed to be for 6-cyl motors and vehicles with hard tops. The Standard Duty are for 4-cyl soft top models. That information came from Morris 4x4, whom I trust when it comes to buying schtuff of the Jeep.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.