question. please help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question. please help?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
terribletowel
1994 YJ Wrangler 

question. please help?

all right, my birthday is coming up in four days and my mom decided she would pitch in the help me buy a lift kit for my jeep. here's all i know about it.. i'm not too big on cars, so idk all the stuff there is to know about it yet, but i'm trying. lol. ask if you need more info and i'll go check it out.

it's a 1994 jeep wrangler YJ
it has a 2.5 4 cylinder engine
right now, it doesn't have any sort of lift on it.
it's running 31 inch tires on it, though.

so, what my question is, what kind of lift kit should i get, what size tires, and how much lift? oh, and should it be a body lift kit, or suspension?

terribletowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

how much is you/your mom wiling to spend is first step.
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Why don't they have braille at drive-thru's?
TowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
terribletowel
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ohhh yeah, that's a good idea. well, she's chipping in $200. what she's doing is either giving me the 200, or she's buying me something for the jeep. i could take the 200, then just add my own cash onto it and buy a better quality one.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the tires are in good shape, I would keep the tires you have, go at least 2.5 iches, and build for articulation. You probably dont have much room to stuff a tire in the wheel wells right now.

My Rubicon Express 2.5 was just under $1000 after tax and shipping, and that included the extra cost of Currie greasable shackles .
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel View Post
so, what my question is, what kind of lift kit should i get, what size tires, and how much lift? oh, and should it be a body lift kit, or suspension?
Quote:
well, she's chipping in $200.
You ain't even gonna come close to doing all that with $200.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

He could only afford a body lift. And thats not a good option for much over 1inch.
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think he is pitching in his own cash other than his Moms money. Terribletowel, how much money total you think you are going to have?
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
terribletowel
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well it really depends. i get an average pay from my job, so after a month i could have about 600 bucks saved up..
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yer plan sounds a little sketchy...can your brother install a lift...if not that's extra bucks. Maybe instead if lift you could get him a cool front bumper or some nice rocker guards. Budget there is between 200 and 400.

You could do a pair of new seats for about 400 if his are crapped out.

Other options: sound bar, new soft top, cb, stereo.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well it really depends. i get an average pay from my job, so after a month i could have about 600 bucks saved up..
$600 ain't gonna do it either....not for new stuff anyway.

Once you get into a 4" lift you're gonna need / want and SYE and a CV drive shaft....that means more money, lots more.

I'd look for someone who is selling their old 2.5" lift, you'll be able to run 32" tires without the need of a BL, or SYE / CV combo.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Even a 2.5" lift isn't cheap....and if you need new shocks, it gets more expensive.

Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
Even a 2.5" lift isn't cheap....and if you need new shocks, it gets more expensive.

Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit for 87-95 Jeepģ Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
I dont know. My Rubicon Express kit came with everything including cheasy brake line extensions and new shocks. Cost was $780. As I said before, I spent just under $1000 for everything. Thats not much, and he could have that saved over the course of the summer.

2.5" YJ Standard Suspension System by Rubicon Express and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

John
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
I dont know. My Rubicon Express kit came with everything including cheasy brake line extensions and new shocks. Cost was $780. As I said before, I spent just under $1000 for everything. Thats not much, and he could have that saved over the course of the summer.

2.5" YJ Standard Suspension System by Rubicon Express and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

John
If he's willing to save, he can have anything....but he isn't getting much for $600.

My RE came with everything too....except the 33" tires, SYE and CV drive shaft.

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
If he's willing to save, he can have anything....but he isn't getting much for $600.

My RE came with everything too....except the 33" tires, SYE and CV drive shaft.
So true. We were all like that in the beginning...LOL

The hard work and time will pay off. Also remember, when owning a jeep and you brake something, its your opportunity to upgrade. Jeep owners don't say "Dam, I broke it", but "How can I make this stronger?" Then you goto your parents, girl friend, wife and say "But <insert title here>, if I spend the extra <cash amount>, I wont have to deal with it again." Until the next thing brakes.

John
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New seats, nice rocker guards, cool front bumper, sound bar, new stereo! I like linusb's ideas, I want all that! it is possible TT, that you could buy everything linusb mentioned, retain your stock suspension, ditch your track bars, and sway bar for trail use, quick disco that or whatever. Highline the front fenderwells, trim the rear fenderwells some, and build that low center of gravity rig. There are some who, if they could build a low cog rig again, they would retain the stock springs, and simply cut up. I am not saying "do this" TT, but fundamentally, it really is not a bad concept. (You just have to be willing to sawzall your rig), highline, etc.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.