Question on Pit Bull tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on Pit Bull tires?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Jeeper_YJ

Question on Pit Bull tires?

Who is running the pit bull tires? How do you like them? How do they last? Quiet? etc, etc.

Also, I have a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body. I am not sure if the 35" will fit on my 15x10 wheel (just bought). Do, I need to trim the fenders or get some tube fenders?

Thanks

Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Brads_nky_yj

I run the 37x12.5x15 Radial Rockers. Great tire on and off road. I have 11 oz of air soft bb's in each tire and they are balanced perfectly. No serious vibes all the way up to 80mph. I have around 1500 miles on my tires and the tits on the tire is still there. Im confident I will get a good amount of use from the tires. I run mine at 24psi on the street. I also have a 15x10 wheel.

They are somewhat loud driving down the road, but not super loud at all. About as loud as a regular MT I would say.

With your amount of lift you will be fine running the 35s. My step dad runs them as well (35x12.5x15) with 4" RC lift and 1.25" booms and has no rubbing at all. You will be fine.

Oh and offroad...well yeah...they kick ***.

Blue YJ is mine (37s), white is my step dads(35s)

Unread 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Jeeper_YJ

Nice jeeps! Ill measure the room I have when the wheel is turned on my 33" and post back.

What gear ratio are you guys running. I have a 4:10

Thanks for the quick reply.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Brads_nky_yj

Oh, and I forgot to add. My step dad is running 15x10 wheels as well. You should be fine. But again, tubes are really nice also

He is running 4.88s and I run 5.13s.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Jeeper_YJ

My concern is I "feel" my 4:10 struggle on the highway and pass with the 33" tires (when all the family and gear is in there). Going to 35" I hear a lot of people say you really need to go with 4:88.

Question. Can you go places with 35" you can't with 33"? I do more sand, trails, etc than big rock. Do you go more places with your 37 than your dad with 35?

I have the 33x12.5x15 Maxxis big horn and I am just not happy with them on the trail. They don't see to grab as well as I think they should.

Again, thanks.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Brads_nky_yj

I wouldnt run the 35s with 4.10s for too too long. Your gas mileage will suck ***. I would definitely go with 4.88s.

I understand the terrain you are talking about. Out here we wheel alot of trails, wooded areas, etc, but also hit big rocks too. 35s and 33s are pretty damn close and most of our club has either of the two and depending on lockers or not, they all go the same places. The advantage I have over the 33s/35s is the diff/belly clearance (but I also have 108" WB and a flat belly).

Short answer, go with 4.88s if you want 35s. Get 4.88s either way, whether you get 33s or 35s. Cause eventually you'll get 35s
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Jeeper_YJ

I edit above before your reply. Opps!

The gas mileage right now is about 17-18 on the highway. It's not a daily driver, but it is important to me.

The tires I have now have less than 2000 miles I bet (33" Maxxis). Just looking for something different and am weighting out going to 35". But, the pit bull tires are n the top of my list. No issues on the trail? Grab good?

I'll add, I have aussie locker in the D30 and 8.8 w/LSD (4:10) for the rear.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Brads_nky_yj

The pitbulls are hands down the best tire in our group (25 rigs) IMO. We have everything from the new MTR w/ Kevlar (whcih would be my second fav), KM2s, Maxxis, Swampers, TSLs, etc.

The pitbulls will be night and day from your Maxxis. If your tires are that new you should be able to get a damn good amount back from selling them and then only have a little to pay on the Pitbulls.

With 37s Im getting around 15-16mpg with the 5.13s (its my DD too) and my step dad is getting a little better, probably around 16-17mpg. Bigger tires = worse mpg. But they arent that bad.

With the aussie and the LSD you will be VERY happy on the trails with the pitbulls, plus the sidewalls on these tires will make every other tire cry. Not kidding.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Jeepit85
1985 CJ7 

I have the Rockers on my CJ7 with 4:10's. They are heavy..When I ran 33's I had alot more power but the CJ is a trail vehicle and I needed more ground clearance. I don't care about mileage...just traction. They work good on the trail....
85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepit85 View Post
I have the Rockers on my CJ7 with 4:10's. They are heavy..When I ran 33's I had alot more power but the CJ is a trail vehicle and I needed more ground clearance. I don't care about mileage...just traction. They work good on the trail....
I see you have boggers now. Super swapers right? Which were better for rock and trail? Pit bull or Boggers?
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

pit bull tires are awesome. I can't wait to order some.

They wear really great on the street. The only problems I have heard are the sidewalls are pretty thick. A lot of people air down pretty low and drive around the block a few times just to break the sidewalls in. They are pretty stiff.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Jeeper_YJ

Stiff equals rough ride on a yj..lol! I assume they are 3ply on the side then. Which has it's pro's.
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Brads_nky_yj

The sidewalls are super thick, but even thicker on the bias play. Maybe thats what you are referring to Mattman. The radials are still pretty thick. The tire itself is a 6 ply tire.

We usually air down to around 10psi on a 15x10 wheel and have no problems at all and the tires HOOK UP!!
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Jeeper_YJ

Radial or bias better?
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Brads_nky_yj

For you. Radial, definitely. If you drive on the road. Bias are decent on road if you dont drive far, but if you like to drive distances then you will wear em out quick. But offroad the bias are better, obviously.

But FWIW, the bias ply run MUCH smaller than stated. I have a buddy who has the 37" bias and they only measure 35.6" at 30psi. My 37" radial was 37.4" unmounted and right at 37"/37.1" mounted on a 15x10 wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.