Question for MC front fender owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question for MC front fender owners

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question for MC front fender owners

Hey guys, just installed my MetalCloak overline front fenders today, and the bottom edge of my hood rubs on the inside of the top rail of the fender frame when I close it...anybody else ever have this happen to them?

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I could've sworn this was addressed in the install instructions but I just read through them three times online and there's nothing. Maybe I got an extra page with mine, or maybe Matson told me when I picked them up that it could happen. Either way the answer is yes it can and did happen to me with mine. I ran a ratchet strap around the entire hood and sucked it in until it bent in enough at the bottom lip to clear. I only had to do it a couple times to get it to fit. I notice the slight bend with the hood up, because I know it's there, but I doubt anyone else would ever see it.

I was trying to find a pic, but then photobucket refused to cooperate and froze up so this is the best I could find.....

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info timatoe, I knew with all of the members here who have these fenders, someone would have run into this and have the right solution.

when my father and I were discussing how to fix this problem I thought about using a ratcheting strap to suck the bottom edges in a bit, but I wanted to wait and see if there was some adjustment step I had missed before I did something unneeded to my hood.

I sent an e-mail to Will asking him about it (and about the powdercoating on my rear flares being all chipped up, even though all of the shipping packaging and padding was intact) yesterday afternoon... but all I received was an automated reply about them being away because of the holiday weekend.

...oh timatoe, did you just cut the front mounting tab off of your battery tray like the install direction say to do for the '87-'90 YJ's? If you did how is it working out?

I didn't like the idea of all the weight of my battery levering off of the firewall with no support at the inner fender, so I cut and modified the front mount to work with the MC inner fender

like this
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, they've been at the Rubicon all weekend for the Cantina on the Con.

On the battery tray, I actually ditched the stock tray and used a Optima tray from Ruff Stuff. I re-used the stock holes in the firewall at top and bottom with no tie in to the inner fenders......

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My hood rubbed as well. It took me a while to figure out what the wretched squeeking was. I tried to massage the hood with a hammer (gently) and pliers on the inside lip, but nothing quite eliminated it until I removed the hood to do my hood louver. After I reinstalled it there was no more noise, and it doesn't look like I moved it at all.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine rubbed a tad at first as well. There is a LOT of ways to adjust your hood and grill though. Play with the hood hinges a bit. Loosen the grill body mount, the two braces, and the MC grill mounts. Between all that I was able to get mine set up sweet with zero rubbing issues.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Mine rubbed a tad at first as well. There is a LOT of ways to adjust your hood and grill though. Play with the hood hinges a bit. Loosen the grill body mount, the two braces, and the MC grill mounts. Between all that I was able to get mine set up sweet with zero rubbing issues.

Cheers
oh believe me, I tried all of that, I have my hood perfectly lined up with the cowl and the fenders are perfectly lined up with the tub and grill, I have everything square and straight...but the hood still rubs on the rear of the top rail of the fenders on both sides. I would either have the rear of the fenders sticking out past the tub about a 1/2" at the rear, or have the front about an inch away from the grill to have enough clearance to keep from rubbing. I think if I can squeeze the hood in about a 1/4" on each side it will be just fine

If MC would just make the gap between the hood and fender the same at the rear of the arch as they have at the front, all of this rubbing stuff could have been avoided. IMHO the fenders would look better too

you can tell the MC guys don't wheel much in the woods, I can see leaves and twigs getting stuck in that tapered section between the hood side and fender rail
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post

you can tell the MC guys don't wheel much in the woods, I can see leaves and twigs getting stuck in that tapered section between the hood side and fender rail

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Ive actually never had that problem. Though they work great for bouncing off trees.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.