Question on a HEI dist, nuttered 4.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on a HEI dist, nuttered 4.2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question on a HEI dist, nuttered 4.2

This motor is Nuttered, I just figured this out by reading the nutter sticky, and tracing wires

I still have no start, and it sound out of time while cranking. I just pulled the cap and rotor to find oil under the dist cap, and rotor. Did a seal fail?
I get very weak spark. And it looks like the rotor hits right on the edge, and I have streaking.

I am heading to town now to pick up a new cap and rotor.

This motor ran perfect until 2 days ago. It died after idle.

image-636495494.jpg

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have an HEI distributor then it's not really "nuttered" What you have is a self contained ignition system and anything to do with the old computer and any of the old ignition is just dead weight.

You should not have oil under the cap and since you do it would seem that a seal, a bushing or probably both have failed; sure looks like the shaft is loose from that rubbing.

Did you get the distro from CRT? They usually use red caps.

Warranty? If it's too late for that you can get a rebuild kit. Or, start over with a whole new one.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
If you have an HEI distributor then it's not really "nuttered" What you have is a self contained ignition system and anything to do with the old computer and any of the old ignition is just dead weight.

You should not have oil under the cap and since you do it would seem that a seal, a bushing or probably both have failed; sure looks like the shaft is loose from that rubbing.

Did you get the distro from CRT? They usually use red caps.

Warranty? If it's too late for that you can get a rebuild kit. Or, start over with a whole new one.
I was guessing Nuttered, thanks for the clarification.
I don't know where it came from. The PO did all this work. My father in law told me to try the module in the distro. And to make sure i am getting 12 volts. I'll give that a try.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It does say CRT on the cap.
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This guy: http://www.crtperformance.com/

He sells a decent product; I have bought a couple of them. But, he seems hard to get hold of sometimes.

I would see if he will cover it, or maybe discount one. Maybe he would see just the base, since you probably don't need the cap or coil. Either way, I would just get a whole new one.

You could junkyard a GM distributor and swap over the bottom gear but you may have similar issues if it's old.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.