A question before I start building. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A question before I start building.

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A question before I start building.

Ok I have collected a ton of parts from shackles to gears to lift my YJ and do it right. Unfortunately with a wedding coming in 2 months I couldn't quite spend all the money I wanted all at once.

here is what I have:

4" Springs of unknown brand because they were slightly used and passed hands quite a few times
Shocks - just front for now
Drop pitman arm
1/2" boomerang shackles
8.8 Explorer axle
4.88 gears for dana30 and 8.8 with master rebuild kits
8.8 install kit - u bolts, plates, shock tabs, and spring perches.
4 33" mickey thompson mtzs mounted on 15x8 d-windows
All new steering and suspension items - bushings, TRE's, blah, blah, blah.

What I am wondering is when I weld up the 8.8 will it be a big poblem to go ahead and set the pinion angle for a SYE? I will be getting one very soon, just not right at the moment. Am I correct in my understanding that a double cardan drive shaft requires a different pinion angle than a regular stock driveshaft? I understand I will probably have vibes but the u-joints in the driveshaft have less than 500 miles on them so maybe they will last a little longer.

I know everyone is going to say wait for the SYE, but that is not an option because I will be starting a job next week that will leave me virtually no time to get all this big stuff done.

Also, another question. Since I will be welding on new shock tabs, if I weld them up high enough to be out of the way, should I order less than 4" lift shocks since the stock position is a couple inches below the axle tube?

Ryno_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.