A question before I start building. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A question before I start building.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A question before I start building.

Ok I have collected a ton of parts from shackles to gears to lift my YJ and do it right. Unfortunately with a wedding coming in 2 months I couldn't quite spend all the money I wanted all at once.

here is what I have:

4" Springs of unknown brand because they were slightly used and passed hands quite a few times
Shocks - just front for now
Drop pitman arm
1/2" boomerang shackles
8.8 Explorer axle
4.88 gears for dana30 and 8.8 with master rebuild kits
8.8 install kit - u bolts, plates, shock tabs, and spring perches.
4 33" mickey thompson mtzs mounted on 15x8 d-windows
All new steering and suspension items - bushings, TRE's, blah, blah, blah.

What I am wondering is when I weld up the 8.8 will it be a big poblem to go ahead and set the pinion angle for a SYE? I will be getting one very soon, just not right at the moment. Am I correct in my understanding that a double cardan drive shaft requires a different pinion angle than a regular stock driveshaft? I understand I will probably have vibes but the u-joints in the driveshaft have less than 500 miles on them so maybe they will last a little longer.

I know everyone is going to say wait for the SYE, but that is not an option because I will be starting a job next week that will leave me virtually no time to get all this big stuff done.

Also, another question. Since I will be welding on new shock tabs, if I weld them up high enough to be out of the way, should I order less than 4" lift shocks since the stock position is a couple inches below the axle tube?

Ryno_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.