Question about YJ 44 Dana Rear Axle... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about YJ 44 Dana Rear Axle...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
mundo53
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Question about YJ 44 Dana Rear Axle...

EDIT: I just realized I put the wrong specs for my rear axle, it's a 35 Dana Rear Axle. So this ad doesn't help me anymore. Sorry!

So this last summer I busted my 44 Dana Rear Axle, the pinions were totally messed up and I need to replace them. I just got the money set aside and I was looking on craigslist to get a replacement. I came across an ad for a used 44 Dana Rear Axle, but it has some terms that I just don't understand, I'm not very familiar with auto-mechanics...

The ad reads:

Dana 44 Axles - $300

I have dana 44 axles. they came out of a 97 jeep the sizes are 251/2" there are 4 total and one is cut down to size the brands are 1 nitro, 1 superior, 1 alloy , 1 ? my number is 555-555-5555 obo call me between 3:30 pm and 8:00 pm thank you my email is johndoe@website.com

So is that a good deal? I haven't seen pictures yet, I'm going to ask to see them when I email them but I'm not sure if this axle is even compatible with my YJ.

I know I have the stock 44 Dana but I don't know what he means when he says, "the sizes are 251/2" there are 4 total and one is cut down to size the brands are 1 nitro, 1 superior, 1 alloy , 1 ?"

So can you guys help me out? I'm just not very good with these kinds of things!

Thanks!

Last edited by mundo53; 04-13-2013 at 12:16 AM..
mundo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You have a stock Dana 44 out of what?
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
mundo53
1994 YJ Wrangler 

From my 94 YJ.
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where was your Yj made? I haven't seen too many with the 44 stock.
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A TJ D44 has two different axle shaft lengths.

The passenger side is longer than the drivers side. I don't recall by how much but the one I was working on a couple days ago was ~1" or so.

Since the drivers side axle shaft is a little shorter, you can use it on the passenger side in a pinch/trail repair.

The same can not be done for a passenger side shaft going onto the driver side since its too long.

OP, sounds like the person in the ad is selling JUST axle shafts, not a complete axle.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
mundo53
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh wow, nevermind. I feel dumb. I just looked up my specs again and it's a Dana 35. :P

So I just found another ad on craigslist for a Dana 35 pulled off of a 91 YJ, I should be able to just take the other one off and put this one right back on if they're from the same model, correct? This is all it says, "Rear Dana 35 with full brake setup $150".

And is removing and replacing the 35 a pretty easy task or would I be better off leaving this to the professionals?

Sorry for the mistake!
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its not very difficult IMO.

You need to ensure that whatever axle gear ratio you currently have, that the donor axle ratio is the same.

The rear axle will fit/swap in, but there could be ABS issues - and axle ratio differences.

There could also be different rear axle yoke size differences. Yours could fit a 1310 or 1330 ujoint, same goes for the donor.

They either need to match, or you may need to get a combo ujoint if they are different and swap a combo ujoint into your current rear drive shaft.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i see your out in the "480", if u check out CL again, there is an elusive YJ d44 on there for a pretty penny. it looks fairly legit, although im pretty sure it was originally sourced from an xj/mj even though its claimed original.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
mundo53
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Its not very difficult IMO.

You need to ensure that whatever axle gear ratio you currently have, that the donor axle ratio is the same.

The rear axle will fit/swap in, but there could be ABS issues - and axle ratio differences.

There could also be different rear axle yoke size differences. Yours could fit a 1310 or 1330 ujoint, same goes for the donor.

They either need to match, or you may need to get a combo ujoint if they are different and swap a combo ujoint into your current rear drive shaft.

Well if they're the same model, shouldn't they have the same specs? How can I find out if the axle gear ratio is the same? And what are rear axle yoke sizes? Sorry again, I'm not good with these kinds of things.
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The yokes will have to be swapped due to you runnin the 1330 joint and this pre 93 axles having the 1310 ujoint. Not a big deal. As for ratio, there may be little tags on the differentials. Look up front and out back for them as they'll be connected to a bolt on the differential cover. Otherwise we can show you how to more or less measure it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.