Question About Shackle Mount Area Frame Repair - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question About Shackle Mount Area Frame Repair

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #61
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So here's another noob question!

Which pair of those leaf springs goes on the front and which goes on the back? I totally have no idea and am ready to admit that openly.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #62
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does a pair of the springs have shimms on them if they do they are usually for the rear.
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #63
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what you mean by shims? The flat parts on the one pair?

I was told that the ones with the flat parts on the bottom are for the front because they are to support the weight of the motor, but usually you put the stronger ones in the back to support the capacity of the vehicle to haul and tow stuff (like all my amps, cabs, and guitars). Is this norm different for Jeeps or did whoever told me this know diddly?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 08-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #64
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I will be the first to say, with better photos, the job does look a little better, and the metal appears to be up to par for thickness. If done right, it would of been a good repair. It's a shame they did not just put a > cut on the ends of the patches and weld them on.

As for the rest of the Jeep, she looks good! I would swap out that spare tire bump stop for a black one though.... (I will even offer to powder-coat it for free if you pay the shipping both ways for all the hassle!)
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #65
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks much! I think you're right about that V though. Frame and suspension were the worst part about the Jeep when I got it. Did not care about the paint because wheeling would eat that anyway. The tub was spotless...no rust at all...so I hopped on this deal. I traded a 97 Honda Civic EX with 170,000mi even steven for it locally. I don't regret the trade for a second and the dude that got the Honda went ricer on it. It looks really flashy now (it had been a bit of a sleeper). Not my style, but do what you want with your ride. Not my ride anymore!

Now, the bump stop? Ha. Well, I'm planning on a rear tire swing sometime in the near future so the bumpstop will go byebye unless I cut it in half to use it as a CB antenna mount. It's good to know that you do powdercoating Firefyter-Emt. I may have to get back in touch with you about a couple things!

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #66
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

been there, done that. same spot too. I say do it yourself next time. i did

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...derway-150584/

i will say my welding skills have improved since doing this though

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #67
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I read that thread some months back when I first joined; might have even commented too. Wish I had gotten this Jeep while I was working in a metal sculpture shop! I would have tackled this project with my prof and fixed it the right way from the start.

My kingdom for a welder...

I just talked to the fella that's going to help me put on the lift. Starting Sunday AM and I don't work until 3pm Monday. Hoping to punch it all out in one fell swoop! There will be pictures.

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #68
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh...so does anyone know for sure which leaf springs go where?

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #69
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

LOL... as long as the coating project is small... I am limited on what I can fit into a 13 square inch oven. One day I want to upgrade to a used kitchen "wall" oven so it can be built into a cabinet in my shop. The little lab oven really limits what I can powder coat. I would LOVE something big enough to coat something like a bumper or what not. I also toy around with antique tractors and would LOVE to powder coat the frames, mower decks... ect.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #70
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Oh...so does anyone know for sure which leaf springs go where?
my BDS springs were stamped with the part number on the top of the springs (can't see if yours are from the pics). cross check the numbers with your parts list in the instructions if they're there. otherwise shoot their tech support an email

Pro Comp Suspension Systems

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #71
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good call. Will get the parts numbers on my break and do some research.

I'll post up the parts numbers as well. It occurred to me that the Pro Comp shocks are not high quality, but hey, they have to be better than the ones I've got!

Last edited by hallsofstone; 08-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: forgot something.
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #72
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. So I finished the lift this weekend and took a bunch of pictures. Jeep actually went up a total of 4.5 inches. Likely settle an inch or so as the suspension breaks in. It rides 100% smoother and the steering has improved hugely as the angles have changed to a more proper position. I've not installed the stabilizer yet so I'm expecting that to make even more of a difference.

Install went well, though it was time consuming. The retarded cheap lock lugs that P.O. put on my cheap wheels had a junk key (of course) so we ripped them off using a big nasty pair of vise grips! I'll pick up 4 new lugs to put on there tomorrow morning. We had to torch most of the bushings out of the old springs to get them off. I borrowed an acetylene torch from my old boss and we smoke-wrenched that thing into submission. Had to be real careful on the driver's side though because of the gas lines and so on. The back went much quicker than the front because we had more room to work and get under there. Had to use some wedge aluminum spacers that came with the rear U bolts to alter the angle of the axle and reduce bind on the driveshaft. They worked great!

I did have a brake line rupture from corrosion so no brakes right now. Found that one out the hard way as I was heading back into my driveway...I coasted out into my field to avoid my grain bins and garage! Headed to the shop tomorrow morning to get it fixed. Took a BUNCH of pics so expect to see them soon.

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #73
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

***Update***

Frame patch has held up ok and I assure you I've been very hard on it out wheeling. Trying to keep some paint on it at all times, which is helpful.

Lift rides like a bucking bronco much of the time. I think that this has something to do with the low quality shocks I used. Going to replace them and we'll see how that goes. Finally cut the fenders today to get rid of where it rubbed and gouged. Looks 100% better.

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #74
gifford89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

neep help.

i have a 92 YJ and i have a rust problem in the drive side back end. Please take a look and the picture and give me info please

http://sn116w.snt116.mail.live.com/a...UvanBlZw_3d_3d
gifford89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #75
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap, I've not looked back at this thread in a long time.

First things first, I tried to click-free for the new fella, seems you have to log in to windows live mail to get that done. Gifford, you should probably upload that image to photobucket and repost the URL. I can clicky for you from there.

*Update on the YJ*
You all can see that it was sold from my siggy. Over the course of the last few months I owned it, I did a lot of major mechanical repairs. I also cleaned up that craptastic welding job by adding some smooth, deep penetrating passes on those plates. Everything was then ground down, primered, and painted. I was very confident in the end result.

The Jeep itself was sold to a friend of mine who is a combat vet. He watched my work on the rig from the start and could not help but buy it when I put it up for sale to buy my current TJ. He gave me a fair price on it and I stored it a couple of months for him until he returned from his deployment.

I have not seen the Jeep in a long time and have fell out of touch with my friend as he is still active duty. Someone sent word that the YJ was in the middle of a V8 swap, adding nice quality shocks, new shoes, and a hard top. I hope to see it around again soon.

Tags
frame , repair , rust , welding , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.