Question About Shackle Mount Area Frame Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question About Shackle Mount Area Frame Repair

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Question About Shackle Mount Area Frame Repair

Ok - so my frame is swiss cheese right around the rear shackle mount on the passenger side. Totally normal for these Jeeps as I understand. I also understand that this is not a frame repair for the novice welder and I CERTAINLY fit that category. Hence I took it to a reputable local welding shop and was quoted a price of $200 to fix it. DONE!

Except, I stopped in today to see what was up. Dudes told me that it took them 4 hours to drop my gas tank. Still trying to understand why but I was wondering at that point if my Jeep is in the right hands.

Sooo while I was there they pointed out that there is a rubber bushing involved in the shackle mount. My 3-part question is as follows:

1. What is it/how does it work?
2. Do I need it?
3. Where do I get a new one if I need to replace it?

Any help would be a huge contribution to a heck of a heep.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wow 4 hours to drop a tank....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...79/index4.html

go ta about page 3 maybe 4, gas tank drop is hour MAX, if all the bolts are rusted, took me 45 minutes, did it on a lunch hour, never even changed my work cloths... broke one bolt and impacted the rest off, 2 guys and done....

4 hours blowing smoke up your ***.....

wow the rubber bushing is your srpings bushing I would think, do thises guys know anythng....

any spring shop can get ya new ones, I removed mine and reused them when I repaired myshackle area....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
yoda604
1989 YJ Wrangler 

$200 is a pretty good price, but when I did mine i didn't have to drop my gas tank and the replacement frame piece had new shackle bushings in it. They are just shackle bushing and you can get them almost anywhere for like $6 max.
yoda604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone let me know how they install? Do they just slide over the extended end of the shank tube for the bolt that goes thru the frame? Dudes were trying to tell me that they go all the way thru the frame...not so sure about that.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

the bushings are two parts, one on each side.

here's two sets
shackle_bushings.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crap I'm retarded, I think those parts actually came WITH my lift kit. Chalk one up to the idiocy of a Jeep noob.

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So those brushings actually fit into an oversized tube that goes thru the frame, right? The dude was trying to weld a small shank tube thru the frame to fit the shackle bolt, but that did not look right to me. I knew something was wrong!

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda604 View Post
$200 is a pretty good price, but when I did mine i didn't have to drop my gas tank and the replacement frame piece had new shackle bushings in it. They are just shackle bushing and you can get them almost anywhere for like $6 max.
agreed on that being a good price. I think the replacements are more than that on quadratech.
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Was the frame so far gone that they were not able to see how it was or are they just morons? I would be concerned about them getting the placement right too.

Here is a ready made part to weld in

Auto Rust Technicians - Safe-T-Cap Frame Repair Kits*::*Jeep Kits*::*Rear Shackle Mount, Set..Wrangler
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just called the dude and stopped him from welding a solid shank. Now that he looks at it he sees what we're talking about. Anyone know what size those bushings are? Maybe measure the diameter of the part that slides into the frame...

They should be smaller than the ones that go thru the eye on the leaf spring, right. Got a box of those that came with my lift (which is NOT in the orginal packaging/lacking instructions or item list, though was sold to me as "complete except for the U bolts").

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ran home on my break and grabbed what I think is the right brushing/shank tube for that bolt size. Tried to sort of guesstimate if that would be it judging by the size of the one on my Dad's 94 which I've stolen for the time being. Seems to be the right part.

Pics of this mess to come. Thanks to all for your help!

Unread 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK - so the frame is fixed. Still working on hauling the pictures of the previous swiss chease status, but I do have a couple of the fix from my cell. Will post those back when I get off break.

The guys at the shop said that they took a loss on this project because of how much time it took to take the gas tank off and put it back on (as well as the engineering mishap with "how to do it right"). I even offered the shop manual for the Jeep to em, so their loss. They also left the original bushings on there even though I left them the brand new one in their mailbox. No idea why that was. I paid the $200 and left it at that.

Pics to come real soon.

Unread 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

their problem I wold think 4 hours to remove a gas tank, mine has not be removed in 21 years and I got it out in 45 mins.....

and Im far from a mechanic..

they left the bushing ause they did not want to burn them out, prollythey wre not coming out, only wayto get them out then is burn them, more time consumng....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's one good pic:

What do you think. Kinda sloppy work but it looks really solid. Got another shot of the bottom plate on there coming up...

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It does not look solid to me.

If you talk to an experienced welder, they will tell you that you can't really tell how good a weld is without x-raying it or testing to failure.

But they are talking about welds done 'right'.

From the photo, it looks like there is poor penetration, voids, spotty coverage and they did not weld the inboard end at all.

Given that your frame was already swiss cheese, and again from the photo, but reinforced by the slim shadiness that you described (who does not know how a spring mounts; come one already) I would be extremely skeptical about this repair.

Suggest you take it to another, known good, certified welder for reappraisal.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
frame , repair , rust , welding , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.