question about leak at rear axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question about leak at rear axle

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
tkwok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

question about leak at rear axle

Hello

I noticed some oil accumulation on the rear axle next to the differential of my 95 YJ today. Is there a seal here that I can replace? I've never did any work on an axle before besides changing out the differential fluid so I'm a little lost. I've wiped down some of the oily residue prior to taking this photo but most of the accumulation was located inside the marked circle.

any help or tips would be appreciated.

thanks

jeep_axle.jpg  
tkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How much are we talking? Those tubes are pressed inside the cast pumpkin and there is only pressure to really seal them inside. I suppose if you didn't already twist a tube or bend one you could try a little silicone on the outside to stop the leak. The axle isn't worth putting large amounts of money into and can be found in fairly decent shape on Craigslist all day long

Where are you exactly?
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
tkwok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't do any damage to the tube itself. The amount of oil leaking is not excessive. It is not leaking onto my driveway. But there was enough accumulation in that area that I was able to take notice of the leak. Are you saying I can just put a bead of black RTV around the tube at the differential joint as a bandage?

I;m in Los Angeles.
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you identified the source? Could be the cover, tube, pinion seal or the vent.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Vent is on the other side of the jeep so I hope it isn't that.

Unread 01-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
tkwok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the oil was coming out of where the tube meets the pumpkin.

Where is the vent exactly again?
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There should be a hydraulic tie-in block attached to the driver side of the tube near the top. The softline from the frame comes down to it and splits the hydraulic pressure side to side. The breather exits this same block by way of a black rubber tube that tucks up into the rear driver side tub corner.

This is not a D35, but the breather configuration is the same. There's a block on top of the axle tube a few inches from where you see the shock where the rubber hose attaches & goes up into lala land. That's the breather tube.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
1320yj

The only way to effectively seal the axle tubes is to weld them. leaking means they are getting loose and only welding will fix that.
Welding axle tubes is common practice in race cars ask someone in your local speed shop for a place that does this.
Silicone will not hold.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it is not leaking enough to make a spot on your driveway why bother trying to fix it?
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Jeepsr4me

I never saw a leak there with out some damage to the housing. Oil can fly off the engine area and vortex action be picked up elsewhere. The tubes are pressed in so tight there really is no way for the oil to get pass... If its coming out, look for a crack.
Get some brake cleaner and go to town cleaning it. After you do that take a rag and tie around tube. If its coming from else where the oil will be on the outside, if from the diff it will be on the inside. Clean it good as oil will try to migrate in the joint of the pressed tube and housing.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.