Question about Internal/External Slave on AX5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about Internal/External Slave on AX5

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
misbehavin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Question about Internal/External Slave on AX5

My Transmission blew up on me and i got a hold of a another AX5 out of a 95 yj and was wondering if if it has an internal or external slave, im a little unsure on when the switch was made to the external style and i dont know what to look for.

Im pretty sure that they are the same thing but want to make sure before i drop my transmission out and try and put everything back together again.

misbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
95jy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 should be external, that one looks like a internal though
95jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
misbehavin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hmm, alright, here are some more pictures of the trans if it helps at all.

misbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=misbehavin;9065388]My Transmission blew up on me and i got a hold of a another AX5 out of a 95 yj and was wondering if if it has an internal or external slave, im a little unsure on when the switch was made to the external style and i dont know what to look for.

Im pretty sure that they are the same thing but want to make sure before i drop my transmission out and try and put everything back together again.
QUOTE]

That one is definitely internal in the pics. The two brake lines coming into the bellhousing are a giveaway. The one line runs to the clutch master cylinder, the other pokes out to a bleeder valve. If you have the option of finding an external slave bell housing with the fork & all, I would grab it and convert. When I had to bleed my internal slave, it was a MAJOR PITA, swore I will never do it again.

The ones with the external will have an obvious cylinder on the OUTSIDE of the bell housing where one of those two lines comes out. You will see a small plastic cover plate with two bolts/screws holding it over the opening that the line comes out of. This pic shows an external slave in place.

My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
95jy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i thought the pic of the back confirmed it
95jy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.