Quality themostat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Quality themostat?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
JeremyCT
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quality themostat?

A couple summers back, I replaced my thermostat along with my radiator (rad was missing about half its fins). Unfortunately, the t-stat I got must've been of the really cheap variety, now that I'm driving it in the winter I'm suffering with poor heat and a vehicle that won't get to temp properly under low load.

Symptoms: Temperature comes up to the 210 mark on warmup, then drops to what I assume is 155 (midway between 100-210), then comes up to just shy of the small hash to the left of 210. If I get stuck in traffic and start moving again, it'll drop to near 155 and crawl back up to just shy of of the small hash mark again. As an aside, what does that mark indicate? 182.5?? During the summer it runs at that mark pretty much all the time, which I find strange since I thought the 4.0 was supposed to have a 195 deg F thermostat, which shouldn't run this cool if I'm reading the gauge correctly.

It seems my thermostat is opening too much at the low end of its operating range. My dad's YJ with the 2.5 behaves similarly with a similarly sourced t-stat. I don't think mine's defective, just poor quality. The one that I replaced behaved well, no idea where the PO got it. Could've been factory original for all I know. I should've left it in apparently.

Where do I get a good t-stat? What are the brands to get or avoid? Should I just go to my local dealer? Quadratec sells an "Omix-Ada, Inc" t-stat for a premium price. 4wd.com sells an "offroad only" 195 deg thermostat. No explanation of why it's "offroad only" though.

Any tips? Go factory or go home for a quality thermostat? Seems a silly thing to have to go to the dealer for, but I will if it gets me what I need.

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any nationally named or good local partshouse will have the name brands and have your needed t-stat which is 195 degrees but spend a dollar or two more and get a failsafe. They will fail full open if they fail so you don't overheat. I have used most chain parts houses to include NAPA and some good locals without having to go to the dealer.

If you deviate from the OE 195 degree stat you will have issues with the ecu setting for fuel and air mixture based on temps from the water temp sensor and air in the intake sensor. The gauge may be flaky also so you might want to check it or just replace the gauge sending unit $10 it is on the cylinder head drivers side rear one wire plug its purple.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would just buy a quality thermostat and avoided the gimmicks out there.

I had terrible luck with the failsafe failing in a short amount of time. Get one from Stant and save your money for gas.
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
doug4jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

get a quality thermostat.
doug4jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've always had great luck with stant superstat. I've had crap luck with pretty much anything else ive put in my vehicles.
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
calpbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I thought the temp sending unit was on the thermostat housing. I now have to check and see if I have a sender on the back of my engine

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
calpbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have been told that is normal.

My old cracked radiator and old t-state held it at 210* the whole time after dropping once to 150*ish. Then I got the crack in the radiator fixed and put in a new t-state and it was dropping down to 135* ish ever minute or two and then heats back up to 210*. Then I put in a different T-stat and it drops to just below 185* every minute or two then heats back up to 210*. My heat also worked much better when the Jeep held 210* the whole time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...unces-1301596/ (I don't remember replacing or buying a new temp sending unit, but that was a year ago)
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Robert Shaw and drill a bleed hole if it does not have one.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
JeremyCT
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody know any online sources for factory parts? The aftermarket places have aftermarket parts, I'm having trouble finding the Mopar/AMC part. Local dealer didn't have it on the shelf and wanted $25 to order one.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think your over thinking this one.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
JeremyCT
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
I think your over thinking this one.
Both aftermarket units we have here at the house behave the same way. Nobody in this thread seems to agree on an aftermarket brand that's quality, so the OE part is the safest bet.

How does one assess quality without recommendations? You say to buy a good one but give no hints as to how to figure out what's any good. Shopping based on price doesn't guarantee quality.
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If that is the case go ahead and get the part from the dealer. That would probably be your safest bet.

This is what i use and have had great luck with it.
http://www.partsgeek.com/z39rxwr-jee...hermostat.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.