Quadratec soft top reinforcement kit any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Quadratec soft top reinforcement kit any good?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quadratec soft top reinforcement kit any good?

I am looking to fix the classic soft top retaining channel strip out. Was thinking of purchasing that Quadratec softtop reinforcement kit. I have left over gift cards, so would like to use them on something beneficial there.

Hate to buy it unless someone can give a good review? Does it work well, is it effective?

Unread 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Installed it on my buddy's 94. His windshield was pretty chewed up from previous screws pulling out. The threaded ends rivet into the windshield and the channel attaches to these new anchors with larger screws.

He's had it for a few years now, not one issue since we installed it.

Before this kit, I think we had over 20 screws in the channel. I used larger screws, washers, etc. No luck. But the kit fixed all of this.

I didn't get one for my own jeep yet. I swore that I would. Half the cost is just for the riveter it came with. Don't recall if it was a standard riveter - as I have a few of these. Either way I just need to buy the rivets and screws to do mine. Maybe this spring.

Hope that helps.
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks Matt. I've got gift cards I haven't used in three years now, so it'll only cost me about $20 out of pocket. Probably worth it then.
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just installed this kit today. Worked pretty dang well! I am very slow and meticulous, but it took about three hours to complete. But after some filing adjustments here and there, its a fairly flawless install. Nice and tight.

Hoping it'll work for a good while. Thumbs up so far!

I wish I knew the exact specs on the parts used. I imagine a hardware store could match them up, but if a rivet ever pulls out or strips (they are fairly soft aluminum), etc, it'll need replacing. As long as I don't mess with it, it should be fine. Its not often I need to remove that channel. But, I am always thinking ahead just in case.
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the rivets are 3/8in drill size, 1/4 20 thread. Screws are 1/4 20. Not sure the length. Can measure later. So worse case, can drill out problem rivets and replace /w no issue.
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought this kit myself, haven't installed it yet. Did either of yours come with instructions? It seems pretty straight forward but I have noticed that a lot of stuff from Quadratec doesn't come with instructions. I would just feel better having something to look at a few times before I install this kit on my brand new windshield frame (bought that complete kit from Quadratec at the same time).
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just lay some thin rubber down and rivet the channel into the frame? Haven't had this problem so just wondering.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I prefer to run with my hardtop in Michigan winters. No worries about weight of snow and added (cough cough) heat retention. Summer time I put the soft top on and I get worried about whether the top would stay on or not. While your idea isnt bad Reno, drilling out those rivets every fall would suck.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
I prefer to run with my hardtop in Michigan winters. No worries about weight of snow and added (cough cough) heat retention. Summer time I put the soft top on and I get worried about whether the top would stay on or not. While your idea isnt bad Reno, drilling out those rivets every fall would suck.
I get it! I'm thinking why would you need to remove it. Forgot my years in the mountains. Hard tops do have their benefits
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just keep thinking I need to move someplace warm, and not have to worry about swapping tops. I long for the days when my only worries would be top up/down and doors/no doors.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We do have great weather, great off road trails (at least those they have not shut down) and lots of different driving from desert to mountains, but.........we are governed by the "comrades" in the north which are causing this 59 yo native to contemplate moving.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.