QA1 Stocker Star Shock Install on 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ. - Street Driven Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > QA1 Stocker Star Shock Install on 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ. - Street Driven Jeep

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

QA1 Stocker Star Shock Install on 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ. - Street Driven Jeep

So, my 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ was in desperate need of some shocks. For some reason, it had three different styles of shocks from three different manufacturers on it. Not only did it look bad, but the ride was stiff and the handling was poor as well. I decided to go with QA1 Stocker Stars which are a single adjustable aluminum shock with 18 damper positions. My Jeep is street driven, in the summer we take trips along the coast and occasionally we may see some desert dirt roads or mild off-road use, but very rarely. It's mostly a beach cruiser. I installed the shocks this weekend and photographed the install. It rides much nicer and looks a lot better too.

Tools Used for the Job:
9/16" end wrench for upper shock nuts
9/16" ratcheting wrench for upper shock nut
3/4" socket for shock bolts
3/4" end wrench for lower shock nuts
13/16" socket for lug nuts
Vice grip pliers to keep threaded rod/upper portion of shock from spinning during removal
Air gun to make life much easier

The QA1 Stocker Star single adjustable shocks arrived quickly, were packed well and included a packing slip indicating contents of the shipment. The shocks themselves were nicely secured in their own boxes with shrink wrap securing them and keeping them from moving around and getting scratched up during transit. All of the top and bottom bushings, metal inserts and nuts for top of front shocks were included. I ended up not needing the extra metal inserts I ordered as the shocks came with the ones that I required for installation.

a60f3175-e07e-4b4d-b5e9-7d2524e53f7e.jpg   1a70cc1e-4bfe-47e4-b841-a9349f9f5ada.jpg   img_5894.jpg   img_5898.jpg   img_5902.jpg  

img_5914-1.jpg   img_5916.jpg   img_5915.jpg   img_6043.jpg   img_6042copy.jpg  

Last edited by VRROOM; 05-26-2013 at 05:01 AM..
VRROOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jacked it up using the bottom spring plate as a jacking point.
Removed front wheel using a 13/16" socket and air gun.
Supported the Jeep with a jackstand beneath the rear spring eyelet bracket.
Using a 9/16" ratcheting wrench and a vice grip, I removed the top nut from the shock.
With a 3/4" socket and air gun, backed up with a 3/4" end wrench, I then removed the lower shock absorber bolt and nut.
A little lube on the threads at the top of the shock.
Some more lube on the lower rubber bushing.
Install the metal insert into the lower rubber bushing at the bottom eyelet of the new shock.
Install the bottom bolt, expand the piston, install the lower washer and rubber bushing, then the top rubber bushing and washer and secure with the new 9/16" nut included with the shock.
Very simple and straight forward install that most DIY hobbyists could handle in my opinion.
img_5921.jpg   img_5925.jpg   img_5927.jpg   img_5919.jpg   img_5933.jpg  

img_5938.jpg   img_5942.jpg   img_5948.jpg   img_5954.jpg   img_5978.jpg  

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The QA1 Stocker Stars single adjustable shocks are a drastic improvement over the old worn out shocks I had. Personally, I think they look great and the ride and handling is greatly improved as well. The adjusters are in a very convenient location that is easy to access for adjustability. Being that my Jeep is mostly driven on the street, I opted for a softer setting for street driving.
img_5934.jpg   img_5978.jpg   img_5975.jpg   img_5981.jpg   img_5984.jpg  

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the rear of the Jeep, I used the spring plate for a jacking point once again.
Supported the Jeep with a jack stand beneath the spring eyelet bracket.
Removed the rear wheel using a 13/16" socket and air gun.
With the wheel off, the 3/4" bolt and nut securing the bottom shock mount were much easier to access.
Removed the bottom bolt using the air gun with a 3/4" socket backed up with a 3/4" end wrench.
The top of the shock was secured with a 3/4" nut that I removed with the air gun and a 3/4" socket.
Once the old shock was off the Jeep. I lubed the upper and lower rubber bushings, inserted the two metal sleeves and installed the new shocks.
The upper shock mount required a metal sleeve that was much thinner than the sleeve used on the lower shock mount.
This is because the upper shock mount that is welded on the frame of the jeep is a larger diameter than the bottom shock mounting bolt.
I extended the shock, installed the upper mount first and then swung the bottom of the shock into place within the lower shock mounting bracket.
img_5985.jpg   img_5988.jpg   img_5994.jpg   img_5996.jpg   img_6003.jpg  

img_6005.jpg   img_6006.jpg   img_6007.jpg   img_6011.jpg   img_6012.jpg  

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The top of the shock is secured with a 3/4" nut. I lubricated the upper shock mounting stud and threads to protect against corrosion and make installing the nut a little easier.
And, I lubricated the lower shock mounting bolt shaft and threads as well and then tightened both top and bottom with the air gun and 3/4" socket and end wrench.
And, while I had the wheels off, I decided to polish them up a little bit before installing them back on the Jeep.
The QA1 Stocker Star single adjustable shock is a great looking shock in my opinion.
I really liked the look of them and they seem to be very well crafted. A work of art, really.
Not to mention they made a huge and very noticeable difference in ride quality and handling.
img_6015.jpg   img_6016.jpg   img_6017.jpg   img_6018.jpg   img_6019.jpg  

img_6021.jpg   img_6022.jpg   img_6002.jpg   img_6025.jpg   img_6032.jpg  

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
VRROOM
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, that's how I spent my Saturday afternoon this memorial day weekend. My 12 year old son, helped me with the install and with taking some of the pictures. So, it was nice father/son time. I hope everyone enjoys the pics of the install. Now, my steering stabilizer looks like total garbage compared to my shiny new QA1 Stocker Star single adjustable shocks. I guess I need to find out if QA1 makes steering stabilizers and do an install of that next time. LOL. That's how it goes, doesn't? One thing leads to another once you've been bitten by the Jeep bug.
img_6033.jpg   img_6043.jpg   img_6044.jpg   img_6037.jpg   img_6041.jpg  

img_6038.jpg  

Last edited by VRROOM; 05-26-2013 at 05:14 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.