q? about yj tgate hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > q? about yj tgate hinges

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

q? about yj tgate hinges

I am doing the conversion to a CJ tgate. I am thinking of modifying my swing-out tire carrier and incorporating the YJ hinges into it.

Do away with my bumper mounted carrier and build one using the existing hinges.

Do you think they are strong enough?
I want to carry 2 5 gal cans and the tire.

I cannot get them off the tub so figured i could incorporate them in to a carrier. If not then ill have to do some cutting etc. to get them off.

I want to rebuild the one i have and lighten it up some. I think i really over built it. .

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think that is a lot of heft for the tub to take on without reinforcement. I can feel the flex in mine with the stock carrier and 31 in tire. You've built a great looking swing out carrier there. May I ask why you don't like the current configuration? I'm envious of what you have and would like to build something similar.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

i think its over kill and it was one of my first project. I may rebuild using a lighter frame work. keep the bottom but rebuild the top and sides. its a beast and lots of weight on the back end.

Or I may just sell the rig and start new.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.