putting gas in is a b**** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > putting gas in is a b****

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

putting gas in is a b****

so once again i went to put gas in today and i live in jersey so the attendant was putting it in and the pump just kept clicking off so i was like i got it and filled it myself i hate it anyone else have this problem any fix?

celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
offroadjoker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used to have this problem with my old camaro, I found that when you pull the nozzle out about a inch or two to break the vacuum that occurs inside the tank, it will not happen.
offroadjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjoker View Post
I used to have this problem with my old camaro, I found that when you pull the nozzle out about a inch or two to break the vacuum that occurs inside the tank, it will not happen.
exactly ... or just do a TJ fillers swap and go to the side of the vehicle
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Keep the nozzle at a 7:00 position, pulled out about an inch, should fill fine!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Keep the nozzle at a 7:00 position, pulled out about an inch, should fill fine!
x2... 10char

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Either you're sticking it in too far or your vent line is kinked. (I know mine is, I have to undo it and fill up, kind of a pain...)
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
AZoriginal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if this problem has to do with the 10 inch vent pipe Jeep installed in our tanks to make the 20 gallon capacity plastic tank only accept 15 gallons.

I say this because this week I had to install a new 20 gallon plastic tank (for other reasons) that doesn't have the vent tube sticking down into the tank. I also replaced the filler and vent hoses from the gas cap. When I filled it up for the first time I didn't experience any problems of the past. Before with the old 15 gallon tank a fill up was a very frustrating process as described by "celticluck793".

If you want to modify your tank (it will work on a 94) it's fairly easy to remove the 10 inch tube. Here is a write up:

15 to 20 gallon modification
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is different at every freaking station. At one place it will click the whole damn tank, in another I have to hold it sideways in one direction, another station the opposite direction. The thought of being to stick it in and walk away makes me laugh. I now have the back of a 74 year old woman.
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticluck713 View Post
so once again i went to put gas in today and i live in jersey so the attendant was putting it in and the pump just kept clicking off so i was like i got it and filled it myself i hate it anyone else have this problem any fix?
Leave Jersey so you can pump your own gas?

I've done the 15-to-20 gallon mod and I've found that mine works best if I hold the nozzle at the 4 o'clock position and pulled out about an inch.

Some pumps are MUCH more sensitive than others, so if you find one that works well for you make note of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First of all I suggest getting a length of chain or even string and make something that will hold your plate open.

I am a gas station attendant and I have not had more problems trying to fill up anything compared to my YJ. I don't know how NJ is, but try to find a gas station that doesn't have the rubber boots over the nozzles. Try asking if they have a tool that holds the rubber boot back. I usually use it when I bikes come in or I'm filling up gas cans that I can't stick the nozzle into. Your best bet would be to relocate it to the side or move your license plate.

Oh, I should also mention that attendants appreciate tips for that kind of work
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
First of all I suggest getting a length of chain or even string and make something that will hold your plate open.

I am a gas station attendant and I have not had more problems trying to fill up anything compared to my YJ. I don't know how NJ is, but try to find a gas station that doesn't have the rubber boots over the nozzles. Try asking if they have a tool that holds the rubber boot back. I usually use it when I bikes come in or I'm filling up gas cans that I can't stick the nozzle into. Your best bet would be to relocate it to the side or move your license plate.

Oh, I should also mention that attendants appreciate tips for that kind of work
In Indiana, we don't have those weird things.

Or free bumpers...
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Meiacanthus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The lid holds the plate down if I need it to. Otherwise, it's a two handed job LOL I also have to pull it out about an inch to bypass the clicking problem. Some nozzles need to be turned a bit, but mostly you just gotta figure out the depth. I was told by a someone at the Chevy dealer that it's because the the gasoline backs up too fast, so the sensor thinks the tank is full, so it clicks off. My Cobalt used to do it before I got the Jeep.

PS what kind of ***** lets the attendnat fill his gas tank? LOL
Meiacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZoriginal View Post
I wonder if this problem has to do with the 10 inch vent pipe Jeep installed in our tanks to make the 20 gallon capacity plastic tank only accept 15 gallons.

I say this because this week I had to install a new 20 gallon plastic tank (for other reasons) that doesn't have the vent tube sticking down into the tank. I also replaced the filler and vent hoses from the gas cap. When I filled it up for the first time I didn't experience any problems of the past. Before with the old 15 gallon tank a fill up was a very frustrating process as described by "celticluck793".

If you want to modify your tank (it will work on a 94) it's fairly easy to remove the 10 inch tube. Here is a write up:

15 to 20 gallon modification
Just you wait, mine worked fine for a while after I did this mod, but it is now back to doing it again over a year later......

Does anyone else find it funny you have to do this "magic trick" just to fill their Jeep up? it makes me all fuzzy inside about YJ ownership.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

In Jersey its illegal to pump your own gas. And give tips to the gas guys
paxcrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

i found that if your wife drive your jeep make shure its almost at E no pain that way
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.