JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Putting fuel injection BACK on 1993 4.0 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/putting-fuel-injection-back-1993-4-0-a-1578977/)

fishtruck 09-12-2013 12:46 PM

Putting fuel injection BACK on 1993 4.0

I have a 87 YJ, with a 1993 4.0... with... a weber carburetor on it.

If I want to go back to fuel injection... what is the easiest route to get there? Pulling the FI system off a donor vehicle? None of the Howell or Mopar kits are made to fit this motor (at least not by listing).

Any general information or threads to point me to would be appreciated.

JeepinJeremy 09-12-2013 12:51 PM

go to a junk yard find an XJ built 91-95 take all parts including complete intake and exhaust manifolds, harness and computer. try to find one with a manual trans makes it easier but not to difficult to fix if its out of an auto. If your running the t-5 trans you'll have to fab up a mount for the cps sensor, but a gain not a big deal to do.

Que89YJ 09-12-2013 01:21 PM

http://www.cfoffroad.com/
Chris 810-650-3206

You need to get everything from the engine bay except the block and heads. Map, TPS, Crank sensor, Temp sensor, Intake airtemp sensor, Distributor with the pickup sensor, The speedo sensor(Tcase, it has cable for the speeedo with the elctronics needed for the ecu signal)) from a 91 for speed input, and the alternator, Wiring including the PDC and the Engine controller; Intake Manifold with the fuel rail, throttlebody, and injectors, and last but not least the flywheel because it drives the crank sensor. The schematics and a multimeter.

It sounds like a lot but it's not too bad. Its been done many times. If you swapped in the ax-15 on the engine swap the crank sensor is easy to do. If you are still running the BA 10 I would look at getting the ax-15 and putting it in when you are doing the swap.

5 to fire written up here to adap the bulhead wiring and you should have a fuel injected 87!

Chime in if I missed anything.....
Oh yeah. The Jeep Forum and Lots of Beer!

fishtruck 09-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ (Post 15942369)
http://www.cfoffroad.com/
Chris 810-650-3206

You need to get everything from the engine bay except the block and heads. Map, TPS, Crank sensor, Temp sensor, Intake airtemp sensor, Distributor with the pickup sensor, The speedo sensor(Tcase, it has cable for the speeedo with the elctronics needed for the ecu signal)) from a 91 for speed input, and the alternator, Wiring including the PDC and the Engine controller; Intake Manifold with the fuel rail, throttlebody, and injectors, and last but not least the flywheel because it drives the crank sensor. The schematics and a multimeter.

It sounds like a lot but it's not too bad. Its been done many times. If you swapped in the ax-15 on the engine swap the crank sensor is easy to do. If you are still running the BA 10 I would look at getting the ax-15 and putting it in when you are doing the swap.

5 to fire written up here to adap the bulhead wiring and you should have a fuel injected 87!

Chime in if I missed anything.....
Oh yeah. The Jeep Forum and Lots of Beer!

WOW! I have an ax-15. OK... I'll read this over and over until I have it memorized!

fishtruck 09-12-2013 09:01 PM

.. and thanks!

fishtruck 09-12-2013 09:45 PM

I'm trying to figure out what intake manifold was put on the 4.0 to accommodate the weber carb. Also wondering (again) if it might be compatible with a throttle body injector.

Que89YJ 09-13-2013 04:29 AM

The best thing to do is go to the local scrap yard and find a donor. Car-parts.com will let you check local scrap yards for potential donors.

StanF 09-13-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtruck (Post 15941241)
I have a 87 YJ, with a 1993 4.0... with... a weber carburetor on it.

If I want to go back to fuel injection... what is the easiest route to get there? Pulling the FI system off a donor vehicle? None of the Howell or Mopar kits are made to fit this motor (at least not by listing).

Any general information or threads to point me to would be appreciated.

In my area, you can buy used complete 4.0L engines on Craigslist for just $150-250. That would get you most of the sensors, intake and exhaust, fuel rail, etc.

I think the wiring harness and ECM will be the two hardest parts to find, and the most work to get installed. You'll need a Wrangler ECM, but you may be able to modify a Cherokee wiring harness to work. Or you could get a Wrangler 2.5L harness and modify it (just add two injector wires).

You'll also need a new downpipe with the sensor port.

I haven't done your "carb to injection" swap, but I'm doing a 2.5L to 4.0L swap soon, so I have a pretty good understanding of all this. If you get a complete engine, it'll make it much easier and cheaper - just swap what you need over to your block.

Que89YJ 09-13-2013 06:28 AM

The number I posted for Chris is a good one. You are just on the other side of Napiervilee. It is close enough to S/E Michigan. Call him and tell him what you are doing with your shopping list and he will definitely have all the parts you need. I do mean everything.

YJ4LIFE 09-13-2013 12:02 PM

Does the 4.0L have the 4.0L head or the 4.2L head? That makes a big difference. Can you take some pictures of the intake and exhaust area?

fishtruck 09-15-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ (Post 15964337)
The number I posted for Chris is a good one. You are just on the other side of Napiervilee. It is close enough to S/E Michigan. Call him and tell him what you are doing with your shopping list and he will definitely have all the parts you need. I do mean everything.

Oh THANKS! Sourcing the correct parts and a proper harness seemed like the hardest part!

fishtruck 09-15-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE (Post 15972089)
Does the 4.0L have the 4.0L head or the 4.2L head? That makes a big difference. Can you take some pictures of the intake and exhaust area?

I found out it has the 258 manifold. I think it has the 4.0 L head and no idea about the exhaust manifold. The pics of the exhaust manifold are not coming out - night time and goofy lighting.

Is it possible to have the 4.0 L head and exhaust with a 4.2 intake manifold? That's what I think I have. I also found out that one PO tried to make a TBI setup with this and could not get it to work -went with the carb setup instead.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11050...46162578898833

Que89YJ 09-15-2013 10:21 PM

Yes. It's a common drop in.

skyj 09-16-2013 12:04 AM

I dont know where you are located but I have a complete wire harness, computer, 4.0 intake, fuel rail, cps, and numerous other parts off of my 4.0 that im trying to sell since I changed plans and am dropping a v8 in now instead. Just shoot me a pm if you are interested and maybe we can work outa deal.

fishtruck 09-16-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyj (Post 16041457)
I dont know where you are located but I have a complete wire harness, computer, 4.0 intake, fuel rail, cps, and numerous other parts off of my 4.0 that im trying to sell since I changed plans and am dropping a v8 in now instead. Just shoot me a pm if you are interested and maybe we can work outa deal.

OK thanks. Let me digest this, the last two owners both ended up NOT installing fuel injection... and I am learning more about why and what exactly I have under the hood. I'm also not ruling out a v8 or a stroker.

The time now is 04:51 AM.