Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Put 880 Miles on the YJ today. My thoughts...

2K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  ldso 
#1 ·
I'm driving from Detroit, MI to Ocala, FL. Left at 8am and only stopped for gas, finally calling it a day at 11pm. Here are my random thoughts:

1. First, my hats off to the guy that went 4000 miles in his YJ. You, sir, must have Buns of Steel.

2. A cup holder would've been nice. A soggy crotch from drink condensation is not a good look. Even on me.

3. Watch your engine temp gauge closely in mountains. I flirted with overheating on a few occasions.

4. Atlanta, GA smells like B.O.

5. My gas situation went like this:
a) Went 288 miles on the first tank, averaging 17.5 MPG
b) Went 261 Miles on the second tank, averaging 15.41 MPG (due to above noted mountains in Kentucky and Tennessee)
c) Went 285 on the 3rd tank, averaging 17.74 MPG
d) Have only gone around 50 miles or so on the fourth tank so far.

6. This nasty motel room smells like there is a dead hooker under the bed.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm really tired, but so far pretty happy with the Jeep I built!:cheers2:

See less See more
#9 ·
Made it to Ocala early this afternoon. The Jeep ran great besides running hot on occasion. I can't blame the truck for that either, since my radiator looks like an unfinished game of Tetris.

Last tank of gas stats: 293 miles with 15.22 MPG. This was because I was sick of driving and did 80 MPH for that last leg.

Oh, and I learned the best way to get semi-comfortable in a nasty motel room is to pretend the blood and semen stains are your own.

Good luck with your own YJ adventures!

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing your adventure! We just got back into Ft Walton Beach Fl Friday from Dayton Ohio area. But we were driving our FJ. We always take 65 all the way down. You must be taking 75. I did that route one time. 3 hrs out of my way. We stayed in a similar hotel in Greenville Al. The outside was all nice and redone, but the inside still needed the stains and odor from the dead bodies removed!
I could do it in my YJ, but I have a RE 4.5 lift. Not to sure I could handle it on a RC lift!

#13 ·
Make sure you eat at Roger's Bar-B-Que in Ocala while you're there! :thumbsup:

Make sure you have cash, they don't take credit/debit cards.

Max :cheers2:

#17 ·
Watch out for those cheap motels.

I drove from Pennsylvania to Ocala when I was younger on my motorcycle and had to stop at one of those roadside hotels. My cheeks could not take it any more.

To make a long story short, after a couple of days I started to itch pretty bad. Found out that I got crabs from the freaking hotel that I stayed at.

I will never do the "cheap motel" thing again........

#18 ·
Watch out for those cheap motels.

I drove from Pennsylvania to Ocala when I was younger on my motorcycle and had to stop at one of those roadside hotels. My cheeks could not take it any more.

To make a long story short, after a couple of days I started to itch pretty bad. Found out that I got crabs from the freaking hotel that I stayed at.

I will never do the "cheap motel" thing again........
Now that is some funny ****

:cheers:

#20 ·
lol... great story.

all told how much do you think you spent in gas?

#22 ·
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! .....you did 80? Teach me your ways!

#34 ·
Hey Jeremy, glad you made it. Its been busy here. We've been trying to break some Toyotas for the Feds and it was crazy OT. Burning vomit! Come on, only at the Rouge Bridge. The rest of the city smells like burned houses(Its really not that bad). How hot were you running through the Mountains near Knoxville? Are you still running the mechanical fan? Good luck on the new job. Next time I get down there I will look you up. With your new job I bet your going to be really familar with the trails.

#35 ·
The incinerator on the east side also provides burning vomit aroma. My temp needle was just south of the redline at times. When it ran up like that I'd slow down, and had my vent blowing on high. I never had to stop, I just managed my speed. Yes I do still have the mechanical fan. I think my main issue was the condition of my radiator. It's missing quite a bit of that kind of corrogated fin material. I didn't change it because during my testing at home I had no issues with it, and after my fiasco with the gas tank, I've adopted an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with this thing lol.

#36 ·
I've done a number of long hauls in my YJ. Just got back from a 2700 mile trip (NJ to Nashville area) with three adults and 1 child (we had an external luggage rack).

It's really not bad, i'm not sure what the negative fuss about travelling in Jeeps is.

#37 ·
Wow yeah, that is some road warrior mileage! I took two days each way going to Outer Banks NC from Columbus OH, only about 700mi each way.

Yeah I got 18mpg or so on my 31" tires, less through the mountains. Poor 2.5L with 31's and 4.10 gears still had to drop down into 3rd doing 40 with the four-ways on to get up some of the grades.

Also I found out that when the U-bolts need tightened after wheeling, the rear axle starts vibrating under heavy power. That takes a little while with combination wrenches in a parking lot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.