put a 4.0l into my jeep.lots of problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > put a 4.0l into my jeep.lots of problems.

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
mooks73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

put a 4.0l into my jeep.lots of problems.

i bought this jeep from a man who was in the middle of a 4.0l transplant.he told me the jeep was originally a 4 cylinder and when the engine blew he decided to put the 4.0l.the motor is a new unit the the po bought from jeep.the motor was installed at an unknow shop but they never got it running.when i bought it it didnt have the correct 6 cylinder harnes or ecm.i bought a complete engine harness and a new ecm for the 4.0l.i noticed that the new harness would not turn the motor over and traced the ignition wire and rewired it to the correct location on the bulk head.now i got it to turn over but not start.got a code for the crank sensor,so i replaced it.now it will want to start and act like its going to start but wont.after a few attemps i got it to turn on for a few seconds and then it dies.i have spark and 40 psi of fuel.i believe it still has the original 4 cylinder fuel pump if it matters.can someone please help me figure out why i cant get it to stay running.all imput is greatly appreciate it.i know you will need more info so please take it easy on a noob and tell me what info you need or might need.

mooks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what year and model did the harness come from? is it just plugged in or is it rewired to work with your bulk head?
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW the stock 4 cyl harness should plug right into the engine if it's from the same year jeep. All you gotta do is wire up the extra injectors and the likes.

If it has spark and fuel it has to fire up. I'd go through and check all of the sensors to make sure they are all functioning.. might want to pickup a Multi-meter...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your cam position sensor (CPS)....
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
mooks73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the harness came from a 94 wrangler with a 4.0l motor in it.the only thing i rewired was the starter wire.i do own a multi meter.how do i check the cps.
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My first thought is ignition timing. Generally a distributor is set to be in the "ballpark" range before the first start. Sometimes you have to play with the distributor a few degrees one way or the other to get the engine running.

Also, double check your firing order to make sure the plug wires are routed correctly.
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Theres no timing adjustment with the dist, its controlled by the ecu from the crack sensor reading.

trace out all the wiring, make sure it is all continuous and plugged in where it belongs. Make sure none of the injector or plug wires is mixed up.
Check the coil.
check the o2 sensor, if its shorted it can kill an ecu.
Verify all fuses and relays
Good battery with full charge and tight connections?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
mooks73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

rat monkey is correct.the distributor is non adjustable,but it doesnt mean its installed correctly.can anyone show me the correct way to install the distributor.i have tripled checked all connections and even replaced the harnes twice and it still has the same problem.i also changed the cps and still nothing.it wants to start but just wont stay running.i will make sure to replace the battery post tmrw and see if that helps.thanks for all you help.
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it's trying to start that would mean that the timing is somewhere close. the easy thing to do is to bring #1 cylinder to tdc on the compression stroke. and see where the rotor is pointing should be very close to the number one plug wire is. Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? I would almost say that you do not have enough fuel going to keep the engine running. Here might be a trick to try jumper the fuel relay socket from pin 30 to 87see if runs.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
mooks73
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the fuel pressure stays solid at about 36 psi.i will comfirm this tmrw.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.