Pure Monkey-Business Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pure Monkey-Business Build

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's an update. Between work and school it is hard to find extra time to get this thing done. Luckily my buddy has been doing a lot of the work at night.

I think I confused pictures earlier. The one with the engine on the hoist is the 4 cyl moving out. Here's a pic from the donor:

After a good powerwash:

It was also a perfect time to install that SYE I've had sitting in my garage for a couple months:

Now here is the real test fit of the I6:

Wiring fun:

As of now we have the engine and tranny/tcase mounted up. We had a new down pipe built that we were able to weld to the old exhaust to save some $$$. I've also decided to go with a electric fan run off the t-stat. We picked up a Taurus electric fan, made some brackets and will be mounting it in front of the radiator. I might look into moving the engine mounts forward more in the future... I've got about 4 inches of room between the block and the radiator.

The grill is back on, all coolant lines have been run. We are waiting on drivelines, tranny computer, B&M shifter.... and then we have to figure something out to engage the 4wd on the front axle. The old NP231 was vacuum controlled. Any ideas on what we could do there?

So close!

mrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I mentioned, but the donor was in rough shape. I'll have to film a video of the steering box lifting off the frame. PO was an idiot and told me it was safe, but it doesn't look safe. The box had busted off the frame so he welded on a couple straps of metal to support it... but it doesn't do crap. It literally lifts itself off the frame when turning the wheel. Here's a pic for now:
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a video of the fire up. Not great, but you get the idea.
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice job !!!

i want to do the same swap in the future
CALUfootball64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
mekken
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For your front axle a posi loc kit would work. It's a cable that locks the axle so no vacuum needed. I think cost is like $125. search posi loc kit.
mekken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It feels like we are in the last stages. I'll post more pictures as I get them. Right now we are trying to figure out linkage for the t-case. I tried looking to see if the originally shifter from the YJ will work with the new AW4... but it didn't seem to line up right to mount it. Has anyone done this that could provide some information?

Also, the 4wd engagement on the front axle in the XJ was electronically controlled? Is that right? (I'm trying to think). Where the YJ is vacuum controlled. How might I go about setting that up? Unfortunately the XJ axle is trash and not worth the time to swap it. What do you guys recommend?
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekken View Post
For your front axle a posi loc kit would work. It's a cable that locks the axle so no vacuum needed. I think cost is like $125. search posi loc kit.
I just noticed this comment. I will look into that. Are there any other options I could make work without spending more $$$ at the moment? These things add up fast!
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, posi-loc (or another cable system) is the way to go. The vacuum stuff really sucks when it gets old - mine was a hot mess when I got my Jeep. That said, if I had it to do over I might fab my own cable system. It's been done; here's a home-brew "posi-loc" system that I ran across back when I was weighing the options:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/

It doesn't look too tough, but for the amount of work it might be worth the hundred or so bucks for the posi-loc.
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, that pic of the steering box from the donor is pretty terrifying...
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharmajavah View Post
BTW, that pic of the steering box from the donor is pretty terrifying...
I couldn't tell until we took the grill off and saw from above. I drove the car home 60 miles down a steep canyon. Had I known it was that bad I would have towed it. PO was a liar. I'll try to get a video of it next time I get a chance.

Tags
4.0 swap , build thread , soa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.