Pure Monkey-Business Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pure Monkey-Business Build

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pure Monkey-Business Build

I've never had a car I thought was worthy of a build thread. But I thought it might be fun to track my progress on this one. This will definitely be a slow build, but I thought I'd share the pics.

About 4 months ago my wife's car died and it was time to look for a new car. We decided to look at Jeeps because that was my first car in high school, and it was her "dream" car. Unfortunately it was hunting season and Wranglers were going faster than you could call about them. We finally found a 2.5 L 93 YJ that we both seemed to like. It wasn't a 4.0... but we could deal with it. We knew it would need a little work and money to get it to where we wanted it to be.

First things to do: lift it and get rid of that ugly hard top. Check and check.

I got a new Bestop Supertop, neoprene seat covers, and did an SOA conversion. I don't have any pics of it sitting flat, but these are a couple flex shots after the conversion. I've still got a few more things to finish up from the SOA like the SYE and high steer. But for now it's doing fine. I've got the SYE in my garage, just need time to install it.

Everything has been running great until last week. My wife was driving it on the freeway and it overheated on her. I don't think she noticed until it was too late. She was on the side of the road on the freeway and tried to drive it off the freeway to park it somewhere. The next morning we went to pick it up and it was toast. Zero compression on cylinder 3 and it failed a leak test... so it was time for a rebuild or replacement.

Fortunately it was a great time to look into better options. If I was going to drop money into it to replace an engine, I was going to ditch the 4 banger. I started looking into several options. I was considering a Ford 5.0L, also looked at buying a Chevy Blazer to pull everything from, and several other options. Then the other day I came across a trashed Cherokee for sale for $600. It's a 95 with the 4.0L HO/AW4/NP231/and the Chevy 8.25... too good to be true. I went up there today to drive it and bargain with the guy. The car is trashed. The steering box broke off the frame and the steering was insanely loose, every wheel bearing needed to be replaced, the interior was torn to pieces by a dog, the body was all smashed, somebody had had some fun with extra wiring, brakes were gone, etc. The engine ran strong as could be and has 172K(not awesome, but not terrible) and the AW4 had been rebuilt 60,000 miles ago. The car was meant to be an organ donor. Between the parts I pull from my Wrangler and the left overs from the donor I can easily make my money back. I talked the guy down to $550 and drove it home. I'll break-even at worst.

I'm trying to decide if I want to move to the AW4 or keep searching for an AX15. I know my wife would love the auto, but I'm not sure what kind of shift housing I'll end up with on the floor of the wrangler. It probably won't be pretty. What do you all recommend? If I could find a steering column from a YJ with auto tranny that would be ideal... but that would also mean more work.

This week will be mostly focused on the transplant. Then the plans will be installing the C8.25, maybe stealing some leaves from the XJ pack to add to my stock YJ pack, install the SYE and new drivelines, and then throw some 33's under there.

I know my rig doesn't compare to the other builds on these forums, but I thought I'd share if anyone cares.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what an auto tranny might look like installed on the floor?

mrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Looks pretty good! nice score on the donor.. Personally i would pluck what you want from the Cherokee and resell it!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yea nice but on a donor! I will be watching this to see how you do the auto!!! I'm in tHe process of doing research for a v-8 magnum swap and haven't decided on a tranny yet! Good luck keep us updated!
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Are you just monkey-ing around? lol. Personally, I would look for an ax-15 setup, but since you already have an aw4, go for it. It should be pretty easy to find the floor shifter setup somewhere, and allot less work than installing a column setup.
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not use the shifter out of the XJ??? It would not take much work to get it out fab a mounting point. then use the TC shifter from the YJ then you are all set. You do realize that you are going to need to move the engine mounts on the frame.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments. I got a pretty good deal on the donor. And after I'm done with all of this I'll have an AX5, NP231, D35, a blown 2.5L, 2 new tires, and then whatever I can get for parting/junking the car. I think i'll probably break even on all this. Which is awesome.

Yeah I am aware I will have to move the engine mounts. What is the best way to do that? Are the mounts from either the 2.5 or the new 4.0 reusable? Or would I be better to buy some new ones?

I have thought about just using the whole shifter from the XJ. I'm not sure how nice it'd look though. Not a huge deal. Anyone have pictures of that kind of setup?
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple photos from the swap going down today. Hope you enjoy. Sorry about the quality, from a camera phone.

With everything out.

The new guy... getting ready to move in.

Might as well power wash everything while we're in there.

Just trying to decide what to do next with the motor mounts. Apparently Jeep has discontinued the item. I could order some in and wait 3 days for shipping, or we could hack off the old ones and move them. Any recommendations?

I'm ready to go wheelin!
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Give these a go he is a member on the site located in the vendor section

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoadJPin View Post
Give these a go he is a member on the site located in the vendor section
Thank you. I'll see how these mounts come off... If not I'll order a set.
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple before and after of the power wash.

Before:

After:

That's a lot better.
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I need a new set of U Bolts for the spring packs. When I did the SOA I couldn't find a set. But now that I'm doing the Chrysler 8.25 it might be a good chance to replace the fronts too.

Where do you guys recommend a set of U Bolts for the D30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear?

Thanks.
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
jmmorgan82

That is an interesting looking hard top. Any brand markings on it?
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
MUDDYJEEP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

"Just trying to decide what to do next with the motor mounts. Apparently Jeep has discontinued the item. I could order some in and wait 3 days for shipping, or we could hack off the old ones and move them. Any recommendations? "
If I remember right, and you're talking about the mnts welded to the frame, the 2.5L mnts have a different center to center where the mnts on the engine lineup and different angles on the flanges since they will mount further forward on the frame, just stuff to deal w/ if not buying new. The only thing I salvaged from the frame mnts was the piece welded to the underside of the mnt (new from the factory don't come w/ this piece, not sure if its really needed)
MUDDYJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
mrmonkey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 View Post
That is an interesting looking hard top. Any brand markings on it?
Yeah I've never seen another like it. It was unique because you could use those hard angled soft windows with it and it sealed up nicely. But no,I never found any markings on it.
Unread 01-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If i was you I would order new motor mounts from jeep this way they fit properly. Or find someone that has a set. Trying to use the ones that you cut off might not fit properly.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 swap , build thread , soa

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.