Punctured Radiator - Need Armor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Punctured Radiator - Need Armor

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Punctured Radiator - Need Armor

A few years back I moved to Virginia from Colorado and have not really had the opportunity to resurrect my latest Jeep project that I started before getting busy again... I decided to do some wheeling this weekend and within the first hour while backing up I had a dead tree lift up and slowly impale my radiator, also taking out my belt and fan......

In all the years of wheeling this was my worst failure... I have always been able to limp out but not this time... no radiator, no cooling, no go....

so, the question... what has anyone done as far as skid/armor etc to the bottom of the engine compartment to prevent this, Kind of failure? After happening I really see the chink in the armor that i did not notice before, always thought about moving forward... Obviously there are plenty of ways to tackle this, just wondering if there are any cool ideas, lessons learned etc.....

1989 YJ 258CI 4.2L with 4.0-HO(7120)5 angle head job, Comp-Cam 4x4 xtreme cam, Holley 4412 500CFM Carb, Clifford performance single Plenum intake, CRT HEI distributor, Rough country 4" lift, 33.5 tires, Ultra Polished Aluminium Rims, Warn Powerplant, Galaxy DX-979 w/ a little help-x-250, custom tire swingout rear bumper, quick disconnects, Posi-Loc, new paint.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/jeep-build-take-two-642379/
johnrezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wow thats a new one on me! How the heck did you manage that?
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
dahreno

I think this is very rare. I'm not going to wear a hard hat always outside in case a part falls off a plane and hits me in the head ! I don't think it will be something you can buy but, you can make something. Make sure it's made out of some thing that doesn't restrict air flow.
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as many logs and sticks I was crawling over I have a feeling there is a good chance it will happen again... I will definitely throw some metal at it and see what I come up with....
1989 YJ 258CI 4.2L with 4.0-HO(7120)5 angle head job, Comp-Cam 4x4 xtreme cam, Holley 4412 500CFM Carb, Clifford performance single Plenum intake, CRT HEI distributor, Rough country 4" lift, 33.5 tires, Ultra Polished Aluminium Rims, Warn Powerplant, Galaxy DX-979 w/ a little help-x-250, custom tire swingout rear bumper, quick disconnects, Posi-Loc, new paint.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642379
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow man, that reminds me of the guy that got his floorboard impaled by a small log buried in the snow...

I know you want to protect against that in the future, but like said before, pretty small chance of it happening again.

tree-through-jeep-floorboard-bottom.jpg

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Wow man, that reminds me of the guy that got his floorboard impaled by a small log buried in the snow...

I know you want to protect against that in the future, but like said before, pretty small chance of it happening again.
That will make you scoot back and pucker real quick!!
Unread 05-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #7
dahreno

I don't know about your area but here, if you are going over logs and sticks, you are off the trail. If you are off the trail, and forging your own,You are really ruining it for every 4 wheeler out there who is trying to keep trails open. It's a really big problem all across the states. Please see blue ribbon coalition.com, or Treadlightly!.com. Oh and, please tell us you don't go off the trails or, you are on your own private land !
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I am on a 1200 acre farm and will spend plenty of time making my own trails
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642379
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
dahreno

What you do on your own property is fine with me. I am a little jealous of 1200 acres though ! I would build my own personal 4 wheel play ground .
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I will go and see if I can convince my phone to take a small enough photo to attach, but my new to me YJ has a stainless tube rad guard that appears to work seeing as no damage has happened since I have known this Jeep. (1999)

We wheel on logging skidder trails, so sticks and logs are the norm. I never go on the trail unless I carry a torch and solder/flux because of this. Have had to fix a Lot over the years, one with a 4" hole punched out dead center even. Lol, that vehicle got sold years later and still had the hole in it...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

In theory this is the bottom view if it goes through. The tubes are welded to cross bars with the front bar having feet that bolt to the bottom of the bumper.

Trying to upload a front view too.

forumrunner_20140530_150953.png
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ok, got it. Sorry for the low resolution, this was after a mess of tries and android app crashes...

img_20140530_152810.jpg

Tags
armor , cooling , protection , radiator , skid plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.