JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Pulse wipers not pulsing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/pulse-wipers-not-pulsing-9533/)

dalemac 06-16-2001 02:05 AM

Pulse wipers not pulsing

So some of us have to live in the rain forest and to top it off now my wipers stopped with the intermitant option. I got the mist action for one swipe and the full on but no pulse. My manual says there is a module that controls this but I haven't found it yet.

Anybody know where this thing is and what it looks like?

Help :confused:

lostboy 06-16-2001 11:09 PM

It's under the dash near the steering column...it's a black box between the harness from the wiper control on the column and the wiper motor...before you replace it..69.00 at the dealer....try cleaning the wiper potentiometer inside the column(at the end of the shaft which enters the column)contact clean with the tube can get in there...or you'll have to remove the steering wheel to get to it which I did only cause I was replacing the turn signal harness...if that doesn't work ...drill out the rivets of the control unit and check for any failed components inside...I was lucky...just a couple of broken solder joints..repaired them and it was good as new...put hte unit case back together with some small screws and nuts...hobby store item...good luck

dalemac 06-17-2001 02:10 AM

Thanks for the tip on the potentiometer in the column. I'll check that out. But under the dash I found a black relay that turned out to be the horn relay. I did find, stuffed way up behind the parking brake, a tin can type component that measures approx 1"x2"x2" with five connections. The wires disappear into a harness and I've not had a chance to check for power and stuff here yet. From your description this doesn't sound like it though. :)

lostboy 06-17-2001 09:19 PM

you're right ...that's not it ....it's attached to a harness that exits the bottom of the steering column....I think mine is just velcroed to somewhere under the dash.

dalemac 06-17-2001 10:37 PM

Hmmm, I found a circuit directly out of the column that has a broad plastic connector on it with 7 wires and when it's unplugged the wipers don't work at all, so the component that your referring to must plug in inline...like with a male plug and female plug type connection. Am I getting close? If so then in my case it is missing all together.

lostboy 06-23-2001 01:51 AM

that's the one ,,it's a box that measures about....workin from bad memory here.. 1 1/2 x 3 inches and has a plug at either end
that other one ya found ..i had one too...all rusted ..still don't know what it was for...but I think it may be some kind of fog light relay...the fog lights were stripped from mine

dalemac 06-24-2001 03:59 PM

OK, thanks for your help Lostboy. Now I know for sure why the wipers aren't pulsing and I'll check out the wreckers and stuff to get a replacement.

bluebellyday 06-26-2001 01:11 PM

This is a good topic and must be an ongoing wrangler problem. My 95 is the same way. I think you solved mine also. thanks :D

The time now is 08:58 PM.