Pulling my 8.8 possibly tomorrow morning couple questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulling my 8.8 possibly tomorrow morning couple questions

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Goobersbro

Pulling my 8.8 possibly tomorrow morning couple questions

Okay so my friend wants to go to the junkyard tomorrow to get some stuff so I might tag along and get my 8.8....I called today and the guy told me 130 for the axle and all the other junk...So I'm going to pull the axle and the e brake assembly...The axle is complete so alll I need is everything on the axle and the ebrake assembly.....How much of the E brake assembly do I need to pull....Also what is the difference between the explorer 8.8s and the Ford Ranger 8.8s...

Last question was there a carrier break in the 8.8s...I don't care about what gears are in the one I get due to changing to 4.88s but I don't want to have to buy a new carrier.

Unread 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
ugmo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used the stock e-brake cables per the jedi method, but if you want to go the explorer route then remove the e-brakes at the frame bracket.

As you probably know, it's also best to get new u-bolts but you may want to grab the old stock ones for trail spares.

As far as ranger v. explorer - there is nobody on this board running a ranger 8.8. Nuff said?

Carrier break - don't think there is one but maybe someone else will chime in or you can go to the 8.8 facts page.
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Goobersbro

Okay thanks man that pretty much answers my questions. As for the u bolts I will most likely be cutting them off to save time but I might consider pulling them.
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Mike
oooh you almost had it

big affirm to ugmo, no carrier break from 3.73 up
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Ranger 8.8's are 28 spline shafts versus the Explorers 31...

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how much you are looking to spend on the e-brake, but it if i did it again i would buy this--- http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html click to rotor kit.

I know someone on here runs this setup and loves it. You need a plate style SYE though.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
lang1864
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea you definitly dont want the ranger 8.8.
lang1864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing you need to worry about is LSD (limited slip differential), if you are going with a lunchbox locker back there. If your planning a full carrier locker, I'd go with an open carrier anyway. Then you can sell it to someone later.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Goobersbro

Well I didn't pull it today friend wimped out so I'll have to pull it later in the week but I got a ton of grinding done so thats a + As for the Locker I'll be putting an ARB in there so it doesn't matter what carrier It has in it correct??? like because its a full case the locker itself is the carrier correct or am I wrong?
Unread 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

like, you are correct, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Goobersbro

Okay cool beans yea the guy told me they only have a couple so my selection is going to be limited...I'm replacing pretty much everything on it though besides the axle housing and the shafts....So I don't think it will matter much the gearing or LSD or open

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.