Pulling 2.5 Engine, Tranny, and Transfer, Need some advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulling 2.5 Engine, Tranny, and Transfer, Need some advise

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling 2.5 Engine, Tranny, and Transfer, Need some advise

I will be pulling the 2.5 engine out of my 91 YJ over the holidazes and putting a rebuilt back in. I've got the new engine dialed in but have a few questions on actually pulling the old one.

Should I or can I pull it with the transmission on it? Should we drop the transmission and transfer first and then pull the engine? Where should I split the engine and transmission? At the bell housing to block or at the bell housing to transmission? I'm looking for a sequence of how to get everything out?

And then, once everything is out what do you guys think I should do to the transmission and transfer. They are working fine but since they are out and seems like a good time to replace seals if it is a straight forward and job to do. Is there a flush that I can do to really clean them out?

We will be installing a new flywheel, and clutch kit along with a new slave cylinder. Any other ideas on additional items to take care of while everything is out?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Craig

az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
redneckdude120
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i couldn't get the bolts out of my transfer case. it had allen head bolts and they stripped on me. so i just pulled the radiator, grille, bumper, and fenders and pulled everything out at once. you'll need some help from someone to help you to get it out.
redneckdude120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Leave the trans where its at. No need messing with it. All the clutch stuff can be changed out once engine is pulled. Just take a strap or jack and hold up the front of the trans when you get to pulling out the engine. It can drop a little and mess up the clutch fingers.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
jonmaclean19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ agreed, no need to pull the trands and t case
jonmaclean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I just crawled underneath it and it looks like pretty easy access to the bell housing to block bolts. I should be able to get the engine out by just removing radiator and shroud, right? Along with removing all the miscellaneous stuff on the inside of the wheel wells.

So if I leave the tranny and transfer in, is there any preventive maintenance that I can do while I'm at it. I plan on replacing the tranny mount since I'm also installing new motor mounts and brackets.

I've got a few friends helping along with a very nice engine hoist. The good thing is my fiends have more recent experience pulling and installing engines than I do. I go all the way back to high school, over 40 years ago. And it isalso real nice working on a vehicle that was raised in Arizona. No Rust! I've read all the war stories about the jeeps back east and I feel real fortunate to not have to break out a torch to get bolts out.

thanks to all.

Craig
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

Take off only what you have too. The rest can be laid to the side, like power steering and a/c compressor. I left the starter on too.
You can take the intake and exhaust manifold off and hold over to the side and not have to remove all those hoses and stuff. Wiring harness can be removed and laid on the passenger fender.
Engine comes right out.
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rebuilt engine I have already has the intake and exhaust manifold. I'm actully putting a 4.0 throttle body on it as I type. I'll install those once the engine is back in. I wish I had power steering and may take that job on after the engine is running. And I don't have ac so don't have to deal with that.

thanks for the input.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Take off only what you have too. The rest can be laid to the side, like power steering and a/c compressor. I left the starter on too.
You can take the intake and exhaust manifold off and hold over to the side and not have to remove all those hoses and stuff. Wiring harness can be removed and laid on the passenger fender.
Engine comes right out.
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Takes me about a hour to prep to pull and 10 minutes to get it out and on a stand. Putting it back can be a pain at times. Have to line up trans and input shaft. Make life a little easier, take some longer bolts and make studs out of them. Makes alignment of the trans and block easier.
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like a time saver. I have a few extra engine stand bolts that go in the block, and a little long. I can just turn off the head of the bolt into a bullet nose.

Thanks!

cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Takes me about a hour to prep to pull and 10 minutes to get it out and on a stand. Putting it back can be a pain at times. Have to line up trans and input shaft. Make life a little easier, take some longer bolts and make studs out of them. Makes alignment of the trans and block easier.
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a little time this morning so I started on the engine removal. Like Jeeprs4me said, it took about an hour to get it prepped to pull. The radiator is out, all wires and harness off and pulled back out of the way. Same with the vacuum lines, pulled back and out of the way. I've got the bell housing bolts to go and I'll be ready to lift it out.

I also had the time to start putting the new engines intake together. I bored the intake and matched it up with a 4.0 throttle body.

So I'm hoping to get the engine out on New Years day if all goes well. Actually, this is going a lot smother that I thought.

Craig
engine-ready-pull-rs.jpg  
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any trick to getting the upper bell-housing bolts out? I got all of them out but two and am having a heck of a time trying to get a socket or wrench on them. They are the two on upper passenger side. I got the ones on the drivers side.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used three extensions and a flex joint with a impact wrench. If you dont have a transfer case drop it will probably be a squeeze.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Chrisnvegas
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_zoner View Post
Any trick to getting the upper bell-housing bolts out? I got all of them out but two and am having a heck of a time trying to get a socket or wrench on them. They are the two on upper passenger side. I got the ones on the drivers side.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
Sockets with a U joint and a super long extension, or a bunch of extensions.
Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to lower the tranny in the morning. I've tried the multiple extensions and flex coupler along with a fairly hefty impact driver but just couldn't get a straight enough shot at it. I hope lowering the tranny will get me a better angle.

thanks for the input

cb
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Chrisnvegas
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine are like this, only mine are Snap On. The cheap u joint ones will absorb the energy from the impact and will eventually bend or break. Keep these in mind next time your wife asks you what you want for xmas.

Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.