Pulling 2.5 Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulling 2.5 Engine

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pulling 2.5 Engine

I have everything pulled on the engine down to the bare block and head. I was looking for a place to attach a chain to pull the engine and put in my new one. Are there any specified lift points on it? Thanks.

Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic that shows where I attached the chain when pulling the 2.5 and then installing the 4.0L. The side that you can't see is attached to a manifold bolt, furthest back.
attach.jpg  
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks thats very helpful. Is the near side bolt just in one of the alternator bracket holes? Ill pick up a couple of grade 8 bolts to put in there next time Im at the hardware store.
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey TA, whats going on? Did you blow the engine?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Geat pic Idaholtby!
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-YJ View Post
Thanks thats very helpful. Is the near side bolt just in one of the alternator bracket holes? Ill pick up a couple of grade 8 bolts to put in there next time Im at the hardware store.
Yep, you got it. These motors don't have many attachment points, but these locations worked great when I did my swap. The drive train will be at an angle when lifted, but it so happens that this angle is perfect for sliding the tranny down into the firewall. With a tranny jack placed below the rig to catch the transmission, everything then levels out perfectly as you lower the engine down onto it's mounts.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good. I actually have the transmission off the engine so Im hoping I can get it out without having to take off the front grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Hey TA, whats going on? Did you blow the engine?
Nope didnt blow it. I came across a fresh rebuild with ~2.5k miles for $300 a while back so I picked it up (guy was doing a diesel swap). I had an issue with my internal slave/throwout bearing so it all started with me replacing that, which turned into me doing a swap to an external slave, which turned into me me swapping out to the new engine. Haha I better finish this up before I find something else I want to do
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Out with the old and in with the new!
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. How many miles did you have on the old girl before flipping to this new engine?
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Only like 128k. I couldn't pass up the engine for the price though. Still debating whether to rebuild the old one before selling it or not.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got the old girl running again. After a couple of cranks the new engine fired right up and runs like a champ. Ive got a little coolant leak from a heater hose and an exhaust leak at the header but other than that everything seems to be going well. heres a video for your viewing pleasure
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

glad to hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.