Puegot BA 10/5 Front input seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Puegot BA 10/5 Front input seal

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 09-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Puegot BA 10/5 Front input seal

Since I've had the jeep there has been an oil leak at the rear of the engine, bell housing area. I assumed it was the notorious rear main seal and put it on my list of things to tend to. About a month ago I put a new internal slave, and when I had the transmission out I noticed there was oil inside the bell housing. When I got it back together the oil leaking out onto my exhaust was definitely the new gear oil I put back into the transmission, no mistaking it for motor oil. The front shaft seal was worn out, allowing transmission oil to leak down the bell housing then out and underneath, right where you would see oil from a rear main seal.

I searched around and finally found a FSM online for the BA 10/5 and pulled it out again, removed the front bearing retainer (5 studs and two bolts, just fits on the front of the transmission case) and put in the $5 seal (lots of work to put in such a cheap part) and went to put it back together. Unfortunately there was some galvanic corrosion around one of the bolts holding the bell housing in place and it stripped the threads out. I'm beginning to hate steel bolts into an aluminum case. Now I'm waiting on the M10 heli-coil to arrive so I can repair it and hopefully fix the leak that has plagued me for so long. The whole job wasn't too bad, but I'm beginning to learn that no matter what you go to do on this 20+ year old machine there will be some twists in the job.

I'm also wondering how many of you have changed out rear main seals when your transmission shaft seal was the culprit??

cheers!
B

Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

What you should have done right at the beginning is swap out your ba-10/5 for an ax-15. I thought my ba-10 was "okay" until I found a wrangler with the ax-15 at the junkyard and felt how the shifts are sooooooo much better with the ax-15.
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yep, I know but I don't have another $400 or $500 to dump into this pig right now. By the time I get the bell housing, external slave, adapter line, change from the 21 to 23 spline, and get a new pilot bearing plus acquire the AX-15 I'll be out at least out that much. As far as the seal goes I'm only out $5 plus the cost of the Heli-coil and my time. One day when I gather the parts and have the time I'll change over, or whenever the BA-10 blows up and needs major repair I'll change it out. Until then I like $20 vs $500!
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
rtillery34
1987 YJ Wrangler 

how did you remove the studs that hold the front plate on?
rtillery34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.