Pros & cons : EZ Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pros & cons : EZ Locker

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 06-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Bob_Barker

Pros & cons : EZ Locker

I'm about to put 2 EZ in my YJ. It's my DD and running 33"s on stock axles.

Any warning before the purchase ??

Are they reliable ?
How long will they last ?
Do those things broke in parts in the middle of nowhere ?
Easy to install (remove the carrier) ?

Thanx

Bob

88' YJ, 4.0, AX15, 2.5''SL, 2''BL, 33'' SOA in progress, SYE:Done CV:Done Next:4:10's
87' YJ, 4.2, BA10/5, 2''SL
Bob_Barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Goku
1947 CJ2A 

BTT... ( i was curious too)
Unread 07-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
gothbrooks

So that is a d35 I assume. Play it safe while driving on road and you will be fine. Some tips:

Lockers DONT like sharp turns on the road. if you are careless you can snap your rear axle with ease. While turning sharp 90* or a Uturn, accelerate while driving straight, press in the clutch, then make the turn, this will take all the pressure off the locker while turning. Works for me.

While on the trail, dont wheel like a maniac, play it smart and dont go crazy on the idiot pedal. I have run all the "most difficult" rated trails I have come across with my d35 locked and have done well, you just have to ere on the side of caution and wheel smartly.

ALSO: as a precaution, go on to ebay or ask around here for spare dana 35c axle shafts. buy, them and stick them in the back of your jeep. also carry gear oil with you and you will have everything you need to make the change in case you do break an axle.

Most people here will tell yuo not to put a locker in your d35. If I hadnt done it myself with little problem, I would agree with them. For you, you may want to consider thier arguements before your purchase, as many people who will chime in on this subject HAVE snapped thier locked D35s. at least they say they have (I believe them)

Good luck. Also, one locker is plenty for a DD, dont do both IMO.

Tim
2" BDS lift with all greasable bolts
TJ Flares - 33x12.5 MT/R
Teraflex Discos
Lock Right in back
gothbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Locked d35 on a YJ c-clip style

Unread 07-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
gothbrooks

Whats goin on in that picture?

just curious
2" BDS lift with all greasable bolts
TJ Flares - 33x12.5 MT/R
Teraflex Discos
Lock Right in back
gothbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothbrooks
Whats goin on in that picture?

just curious
Snapped the axle. The c-clip axles are held in by c-clips in the center and the outer part of the axle, tire and wheel come right on off. This fellow used a tree branch and some rope to hold the axle and wheel on and was able to limp down to the trailhead. The earlier YJ's have a non c-clip d35 but they are not any stronger.
I had a 95 YJ and wheeled it for years with a D35 rear axle and locked with a Powertrax No-slip. Never broke one.
It's best to carry a spare set of axles and all the junk needed to change out on the trail. The D35 with bigger tires and especially locked = trouble.
I've seen one snap when the guy just let out his clutch with the emergency brake still on!
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.