Project Project? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Project?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Project YJ: Someday (44/60, 38's)

So I've finally decided to get a build up thread going here. I've been meaning to start one for a while but haven't gotten around to it and my pictures and projects to writeup are just amassing quickly so here we go.

Plans:
-SOA first on stock/lift bastards then onto waggy/xj's for some wheelbase
-HP44 - partsmike full histeer, lunchbox at some point and potentially chromos, solid cover
-D60 - disc conversion, lunchbox or lincoln, solid cover
-Custom Flatbelly

The 44/60 will eventually give way to a 60/14b and the leafs will go in favor of links soon hopefully.

Now for some background (skip a page if need be)

It all started August of '07. My family went out of town but I had summer XC practice starting that week so I stayed home. Saw the wrangler on the side of the road one day and called the guy on a whim. I had been saving all summer for something that i wasn't exactly sure of and when i saw the wrangler i thought it'd be a fun toy. When i bought it i had no real knowledge of jeeps or what to look for so i had my friends dad go with me and check it out. He liked it and so for 1850 I ended up with this.

1993 Wrangler with a 2.5 L
About 187,xxx with 90,000 on new motor.

The mud on it is from a brief adventure into the woods to test out the 4x4.

Gears starting turning in my head and i decided i needed rockers. I had been learning to weld so...

John Deere Green. I know, i wouldn't pick it again. They seemed very cool at the time but the pipe i used was actually incredibly thin and weak, as i will later learn.

Build Thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/project-project-578313/

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap

Last edited by willhf1011; 11-04-2008 at 06:12 PM..
willhf1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

looks good did you fab those up yourself i like em
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeap I made them up one afternoon but didn't know enough about fabrication to make them actually good. They looked great but were flimsy as...well keep reading.

Next on the agenda was lifting it. So a few months later I ordered a 3.5 inch Fabtech lift and it arrived shortly. I believe it was on sale with free shipping and ended up cheaper than both RE and BDS.

A friend and I put it all together on a saturday.

Frame spring hangers had the bolts seized up in the bushings so they got to be torched.

Nice clean new springs.

We ran into alot of problems, the bushings not being the least but I suppose thats expected on a 15 year old vehicle, everything worked out in the end save for a broken brake line so it had to wait until next weekend to really get tested. I ditched the sway bar and track bars entirely as a note.

Midweek i found a guy on craigslist selling a set of 32 10.5 TSl Radials and picked them up for 250 bucks with very good tread on them.

Friday night all the bushing bolts i had torched and used grade 5 in were replaced with grade 8, the brake line was fixed and bled and i mounted the tires on rims and went to play.

The springs flexed well but could still use some breaking in. During this wheeling i finally tapped my rockers into a tree and proceeded to bend and then break the step bar off entirely. I tacked it back on for the time being but was planning to make some new ones.

A friday nights project. I'm very happy with them and they've held up great. I also repainted them a nice flat black.

Build Thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578313

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I liked the green.
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i had heard alot about Herculiner and decided to follow the trend. I don't have any pics of the process but I've got a few of the finished project.

The new rockers also got a coat on top for extra grip.
I was very happy with how it came out and its still doing great.

Some wheeling and testing.

I got tired of the ugly front brush guard so I decided to make a stubby one with some good tow points on it as well as a light duty receiver.

Off to inspection. I wasn't able to afford to insure it for a long time so I never bothered sending it in. I was concerned that my lack of stability components in my suspension would fail it. They did not. However it did fail due to the tires ticking out past the flares, a loose mirror, wires hanging down underneath the dash, drums that the inspection center were not able to remove, broken tailpipe hanger, and unbolted front brake lines. Instead of using the relocation brackets for my fornt lines i had just unbolted the bracket and rebent the tube to give me more flex.

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Were rapidly approaching present day now.
Some crappy cellphone pictures from a trail I'm working on back in our woods.

Time for some new hardware, rear bumper time.
No shackle mounts at the moment but I'm thinking I may add them.

So I just turned 18 in the beginning of June and my incredible mother talked it up a bit with some people and somehow by divine intervention i ended up with an M8000. I built my own mounting plate so that I could play with it in the mean time while i decided on which aftermarket to buy. I wasnt happy with my own at all, it looked terrible. I ended up grabbing a Rough Country one with a little hesitation due to their reputation with lifts but im very happy with it, its super high quality.

The only problem is that the bolts for the winch itself hit my bumper and dont allow the plate to sit entirely flush. This isnt a big deal and just took some washers but as far as looks it bothers me a bit, maybe ill drill some holes in my bumper sometime.

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

More winch plate fitments pics.

Some random projects and additions it has received.

HiLift in the hood

New hood latches.

Seat covers.

A hand throttle I need to finish.

As it sits now.

The windshield bars are only off temporarily in that picture.

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of welder do you use
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so now the latest project and what brought me to posting this tonight. I need help. Im doing a disc brake swap on the rear.

My buddy had a ZJ that he wrecked.

Yes it has a 4.0 that will very likely find its way into my jeep sometime.
In the accident (everyone was fine) the rear 35 was bent and ruined. I swapped in a 44a and with a little heating and bending of brackets got it back up and moving again. Now i have this disced 35 sitting around. So i pulled off all the brake makings on it and have had them sitting around for a while.

Tonight i went to NAPA and bought 2 new drums, all new shoes, and all new springs and whatnot for inside the drums of mine. It set me back 170 and then i got to thinking how much cheaper and nicer it would be if i just swapped in the discs. So saturday all the drum stuff is going back.

I tore down my drums (PITA) and got them down to the shafts. I forgot i had to take the c-clips out so i drained the diff (it needed it anyway) and went to work there. (on a quick sidenote: am i the only one who finds the smell of used gear oil very unpleasant? and also the fact that you have to use a 1/4 12 pt wrench to slide out the dowel in the spiders just to pull the shaft is really obnoxious, i would hate to have to do that on the trail.)

So tear down your drums drain the diff and get a 12 pt 1/4 wrench (ratcheting preferred) Take out the retaining bolt and slide the dowel out. Push your shaft in towards the center of the diff and then pull the c-clip. Note: put the dowel back in the spiders once you get the shafts out to make your life much easier. It will keep the spiders all together.

You should be left with this once you pull the shafts.

unbolt the brake line and unhook the e-brake. The unbolt the bracket from the housing and chuck it (or save it). The disc bracket should bolt right back on in place. Now the bolt on takes a break and we start making stuff up. Get a hose (of i guess if you saved the hoses of the disc axle) that will connect to your brakeline just like the front brakes.

Now as for the e-brake im kind of stumped. the drums a little cylinder on the end of them and the disc brakes use a loop. I'm not quite sure how to work my way around this. I could use the cables out of the ZJ but i would think theyd be much longer. Or... I could cut the bracket that the YJ cables attach to and weld it onto the arm of the disc's e-brake so i can use my stock cables. Thoughts anyone? I've got a nice long weekend to work on this but sadly auto stores wont be open tomorrow because i still need some new hardline and hoses for the brakes before i can even try it out.

One nice accomplishment tonight was the free replacement of a cross threaded lug. One of the shafts in the ZJ's 35 had sheared so i pressed the studs out of it and replaced the buggered up one in mine.

ZJ studs are longer which actually may be a necessity. The rotors are thicker than the drum so when i go to put my tires back on a may not have enough stud to bite or get a good torque so i may have to replace all of them.
I also have the right hand ZJ shaft laying around and its still good. It feels heavier than my YJ's but i believe theyre the same length so maybe ill just use that one but if someone can confirm or tell me otherwise that'd be nice.

If anyone has any ideas on the e-brake situation please post up.

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We have a couple different welders. A very large old and loud (but powerful) gas powered welder/generator that i use from time to time when i need to do some really heavy stuff. We have two electric welders, both lincoln.

An AC-225 Stick welder (I used it for everything you see here except the rear bumper) We use almost exclusively 7018's with it and just buy in large bulk (i live on a farm and we do all of our own equipment repairs as well as repair for others commercially)

We also have an SP-170 Mig that I've taken to recently and that's what i used to make the rear bumper. I like it alot its so easy to use. I'm running .035 Flux Cored in it and may switch to gas at some point.

In a pinch we can also weld or braze with the acetylene torch but thats no fun.

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's been a little while but I've made some progress. I finished up the disc brakes that weekend and got them all mounted up and decided I'd do the master cylinder too while i had the stuff, so i robbed the MC from the grand and went to put it in and realized that it would need mods to the booster, so i used the grands booster too (its a dual diaphragm as opposed to my single i believe). I had to fab up a new actuator rod for the booster but got that all setup and working. After discovering that my calipers were seized up i put new ones in and the thing really stops. I can lock up my 32s in the front, something i dont think i could do with the stock tires before. I attribute that to both the MC and the booster. I also picked up a set of half doors for 150 from a guy. I was pretty siked with the deal. They'll get a coat of paint sometime but for now they dont look too bad i dont think. And finally some flex pics, first time i'd run it up on the forklift. Any questions on things or more pics post up, ive got tons more if people want some details

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just picked up a set of axles out of a 78 250. The 60 has had all the seals redone and all the parts aside from the brackets for discing it came with it. The 44 is in need of a serious rebuild which it is currently undergoing. Still tring to figure out which route to take on steering. Any suggestions? Also anyone have good suggestions for rear disc brackets? Are the bolt ons worth it or would weld ons be the route to go? I plan to stretch later on after the axles are in so the pinion will be changed and i though the bolt on would be nice because i can adjust it. Thoughts?

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A few status updates.
44 is all set to go , it took some work though, all new seals bearings and brakes. Knuckle is drilled and tapped. Painted the 60 and blue torch disc brackets wil lbe arriving shortly.
Also finally got around to putting my cb in, still need to grab an antenna and hook it up.
Some trail damage that was patched up with a hammer, and the beginings of a facelift maybe (not sure yet.)

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hows that M/C workin out for ya? Im thinkin about stealing one off an xj cause mines leaky.
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Ostrow12
1993 YJ Wrangler 

this is a tight project because 1 you are not afraid to swap axles like alot of the other peeps on this forum. 2 you build your own **** and dont pay some guy to do it.and 3rd you run XC (i run for Mt. shasta High school in CA). keep it up
Ostrow12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.