Project "NO PLASTIC" Dash Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project "NO PLASTIC" Dash Build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Joe1167
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Project "NO PLASTIC" Dash Build

First off, i just want to say, that DAN IS THE MAN! if anyone is looking into a conversion like this, its great. you can keep almost all of your wiring, depending on the guages you run. DoubleD Fab is his work. Its great.

Here we have some before pics. I tried to paint it all black first, but still i longed for the plastic removal.

Then, i went looking for my gauges, and idiot lights. i went with these to keep wiring to a minimum, instead of going to all the CJ gauges. I decided on the Hot Rod Black II from autometer. they look sharp.

Then, the LED idiot lights. 2 greens for turn, a red for check engine, a blue for high beams, and a amber for 4wheeldrive. Any ideas on where i should put these? still undecided... as well with the kill switch and fog lights toggle...

Then, the wiring connectors, from caspers, which are water proof, and a few sets of waterproof splices.

Everything together (minus the steering column bezel, speedo and tach, and kill switch):

Then today.... this was waiting for me when i came home from school!

best part is being able to keep heater and lights control. LESS WIRING!

Its off to powder coat, then its demo time!

Also, anyone want to take the tuffy locking console off my hands? 60$ its great condition.

Joe1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
smoke_20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That looks nice, can't wait to see it installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urb4nTr0ll View Post
I have 4 x 4 on my YJ, but I'm not sure what it is suppose to do or if it is even necessary.
I'm mainly a street driver.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.:thumbsup:
smoke_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
capone1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Dan does great work.
capone1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
simpkijd
2012 JK Wrangler 

That looks Great! Can you post a link to "Dan" or his shop I'd be interested in picking up one of those for myself.

[url]http://southsidejeepers.freeforums.org/[/url]

[url]http://www.militaryjeepers.com/[/url]
simpkijd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Joe1167
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yea, you can pm him.

his JF name is Dislsmoke

cant say enough about his work.
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That thing looks sweet I'll be watching your build. I just did a full cj dash swap and you made a wise choice keeping yj heater controls. I used the autometer gauges for my oil presure and volts and they worked out well, there pretty much an idiot proof install and I assume you got ones that work with the yj sending units so that should make it even easier for you. I like those indicator lights you got to where did you get them? I had to add one for the check engine light since the cj cluster doesnt have a spot for it. I wish I could find one labeled check engine so there wont be any bs when I have to go for emissions next time.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
capone1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkijd View Post
That looks Great! Can you post a link to "Dan" or his shop I'd be interested in picking up one of those for myself.

Here's a link to Dan's website:http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
capone1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Joe1167
1991 YJ Wrangler 

www.jegs.com carries them. 5/16 indicator lamp.

and the gauges for the temp and pressure both come with their own sending unit, cause both were acting up, and i think they were the problem.
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
simpkijd
2012 JK Wrangler 

I hope I'm not rushing you ,but have you had a chance to work on the install? I'm very interested on seeing how the new dash looks. This may be a summer project of mine....

[url]http://southsidejeepers.freeforums.org/[/url]

[url]http://www.militaryjeepers.com/[/url]
simpkijd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^same here.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great, only half of my gauges work after my 4.0 swap so I am going mechanical gauges where I can and electric for the rest my dash is about to get the home job of the dash swap. Alum. scrap drilled for some gauges with a cut out for a stereo and a idiot light or two.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
brandonse24
1999 WJ 

dude, dan is the man, i would love one of those dashes the "customer dash" off his website...
[B]Black Jeep Society Member #348[/B]
[B]Nightcrew #159[/B]
brandonse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wow, thats amazing. i cant wait to see that in. hmmm now i want one

Just break it, that way you have to upgrade
cresencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Only question i have is what did it cost

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
her94yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmm now this is like the 4th one of his dashes i have seen on here and each time i like more and more.. Dan a heads up one pissed off wife might be calling you soon to tell you to stop with the great ideas.. ok maybe more than one pissed off wife..... that would clean up my heap alot
His 89 4 inch super lift flat fenders,winch,8.8 lsd4:10s,44 front locked revolvers all 4 corners,soon to be building a half hard top now for the winter,

,94 4.0 stock gears, 4 inch RC 31x12. 15 procompXT,locked front,and rear
her94yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.