Project Millertary - Red to olive drab YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Millertary - Red to olive drab YJ

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Project Millertary - Red to olive drab YJ

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...Btt3ZaWeP3_WRI

It started as rust repair in the rockers....turned into tube fender install and painting to OD green. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now, and I can't love it any more.

Tube fenders are from a guy on eBay, $245 shipped un-welded. Rustoleum paint from Ace hardware. All new stainless hinges. Warrior Products rear corner guards with L.E.D. tail and reverse lights and Bestop rear tire carrier

New seats coming soon, bedliner the entire tub, new half doors and uppers. Misc. stars and lettering here and there.

Also on order is a louvered hood panel with an Autobot logo laser cut out of it, that will be the crowning jewel.

Last edited by millerguy; 04-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: additional link
millerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Can you take a picture of the sticker on the paint can?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No sticker. I started with 1 QT of Rustoleum rusty red metal primer and 1 QT of Rustoleum Gloss hunter green and poured them into 1 GAL empty can. This produced a brown military color.

Adding additional quarts made it greener, my final formula was 3 green quarts to 1 red primer quart. We added reducer and hardener and sprayed it on using a compressor gun. It's a nice semi-gloss and EXACTLY what I wanted.

I still have a half gallon left and thats going to the M416 Jeep trailer when I get that all sandblasted down and put together.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting way to get the color. turned out great! really looks military. what type of hardener and reducer did you use?

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know what type exactly, what ever my friend uses for painting his General Lee's. I plan on doing the hard top inside and out sometime this summer.

I found the formulation from a Jeep forum somewhere, I can't remember where exactly. His suggestion was 1:1 red primer and glossy green, but like I stated earlier it was WAY too brown for what I wanted.
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks fantastic

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/17-year-old-dream-1146581/"]Build Thread- 17 Year Old Dream[/URL]
marzcap328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
kostyanj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to do a rustoleum paint job as well. I've read a lot about using a 1:1 ratio of mineral spirits to paint to thin it out. Could you find out what hardener to use?
kostyanj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the hood panel? It looks like the PSC version that they have never taken to production for the YJ.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As for the Rustoleum ratio, 1:1 rusty red primer to gloss hunter green is really more brown. The more quarts of hunter green you add is gets greener. Use your own judgement there. The original post I read said he used 10% acetone to thin it and used a roller and put on several thin coats. I didn't want to do that. We used enamel med reducer and enamel hardener mixed in with each batch we made, sprayed on with a HPLV spray gun. Like I said earlier its a nice hard olive drab green at a nice lusterless finish.

As for the hood panel, I'm not a fan of leaving us YJ owners out in the cold as far as parts. I found mine at americanrockrods.com. They offer a couple versions, different styles and finishes. They were also kind enough to custom cut the Autobot insignia in there for me, at extra cost of course, but SO worth it. The louvers are not absolutely perfect, about 5 of them are slightly skewed, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. After I cut the hood to make them functional, it evacuates heat excellently.
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the Monstaliner installed. Two coats. We painted it to match the exterior color and it came out absolutely awesome.
wp_001067.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got the underside of the hood painted. Almost all signs of the previous red paint are kaput, with the exception of the engine compartment. I also made myself some military style badging, the plates fit perfectly on the glove box door. Time to put it all back together!!
wp_001035.jpg   wp_001032.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
95-rio-pv5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I realy like the data plates, especially with the Willys name. Did you make them your self?
95-rio-pv5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
millerguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I own a business and one of the things we offer are unique custom printed gifts. These are listed as "dash plates". I just kinda made my own design based on the old military data plates and went with it. Came out awesome.
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerguy
Yeah I own a business and one of the things we offer are unique custom printed gifts. These are listed as "dash plates". I just kinda made my own design based on the old military data plates and went with it. Came out awesome.
You need to sell those. I like them and would buy two sets for my yjs.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.