Project: LT1 Swap into '93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project: LT1 Swap into '93

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Project: LT1 Swap into '93

Well guys, please welcome me and my buddy to the Jeep world. We're both newbies and will probably need tons of your help. I've done some research and I've been reading a couple of threads and I'm trying to compile a list of swap parts. If you guys can point me to any specific swap threads or specific posts that have lists of parts we would certainly appreciate it.

I'll try to get some pics of the Jeep ASAP and maybe a pic or two of the donor motor. Right now it's a '96 motor out of a Caprice but I'll be swapping some parts to turn it back into a '95 motor since those are OBD1 and I can program that PCM. The '96 motor is an OBDII and I just can't do as much with that year motor.

FYI, I've swapped a '95 LT1 & T56 into my '85 S10 so I'm real familiar with the "swap" itself and LT1 motors in general, but I know next to nothing about these Jeeps.

Looking forward to it, guys.

HectorM52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome, and you will love your jeep way more then your s10...you will probably sell the s10 so you can spend the money on the jeep.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to these two sets of adapters:

Advance Adapters 713087
I read on Summit that this mount requires a suspension lift. Though the dude below in THIS THREAD didn't mention the need for the lift. Anyone have any specific knowledge on this?

I also think this is a similar or the same mount...found this pic on this forum in the thread above. Please pardon my usage of this pic.

or
Advance Adapters 713007

Anyone have any opinions on these? Better to weld in? I am sure we can get it welded in but obviously the bolt-in kit will be much easier and we won't have to get the frame towed over to a welding shop.
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprooch View Post
Welcome, and you will love your jeep way more then your s10...you will probably sell the s10 so you can spend the money on the jeep.
LOL, thanks. Though I don't have to worry about spending MY money on the Jeep. It's a buddy's truck. I sent him the link so I'm sure he'll show up eventually.

Here's my truck - I'll probably never sell it!!

YouTube - LT1 T56 S10 at Road Atlanta

Wish I had some more recent vids, but that's about it for now.

Unread 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
the jeep harness and the chevy harness do not splice together per say.
the only thing you need from the jeep harness is the switched power for the chevy ecm, thats it.
get the ecm output for the fuel relay, and either put that to the chevy relay and then to the jeep fuel pump, or put the ecm wire to the jeep fuel pump to turn it on. i used the fuel pump relay from the chevy.
the chevy will need a neitral safety switch, or just ground the wire IIRC, nd it will be happy. start in gear, but happy....
i think you are making the same mistake as others have, making it too complicated for yourself. follow the painless instructions, and where it says "12v in start", grab the wire from the column that is 12v in start, etc etc etc.
on the bulkhead fitting on the jeep, the plug is basically 2 plugs in 1. all the jeep motor/ecm wires you dont need. all the others are for lights etc, so dont touch them.if i remember right, the wires on the left hand side of the plug as you are looking at it in your hand, are the ecm ones. leave the rest alone!!
shoot me an email/im etc if you need any other help mate
martin
Just throwing this in here so I can remember it when it comes time to start wiring.
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody used these NOVAK mounts before?
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

whats up hector. i spend a lot more time on here then i do on ssf as of lately.
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What's up?!
I guess I'll be a regular over here - hopefully some of the other "swap" guys will chime in and we'll continue to gather parts. Then we should be able to drop everything in and not have too long of a down time. That's the goal, anyway.
Unread 01-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
Anybody used these NOVAK mounts before?
I use them on all the ones I do with success.
They seem to last very well, and are adjustable for height etc too.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing a vortec 350 swap right now. I've installed the Novak mounts! They seem to be pretty sweet. I went this route because most everything I've read, said to stay away from the cradle mounts. By the way, You've picked a very good place to get info! Good luck with the swap!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
bennymichael
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok HECTOR. I have registered and will get the info on the specifics as well as some "before" pictures so that everyone can help and/or follow the progress. Should be a fun process.
bennymichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymichael View Post
Ok HECTOR. I have registered and will get the info on the specifics as well as some "before" pictures so that everyone can help and/or follow the progress. Should be a fun process.
Email me some pics and I will put them up in my gallery.
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Magneto

I used the Novak mounts on my 1991. Very nice. I don't care for the cradles - they're totally unnecessary and always in the way.
'91 YJ
Wife wants a Wagoneer...
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
GRUNT
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hector,
I too am in the middle of this swap. I subscribe to JP-Magazine and they recently had a series of articles about a project like this. Here are the links below. They, JP, even supply all the part numbers and experiences. Hope this helps.

Part 1
Part 2
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
HectorM52
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys. I can see what you're saying about the cradle possibly being in the way.

I do like the adjustability of the NOVAK mounts - plus they are cheaper than the AA pieces!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.