Project Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-14-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
BMWGARY

Project Jeep

Hey guys, this is my first post here.

Here's the deal, I'm trying to buy a project car in the spring and I've narrowed it down to two cars. A VW Corrado SLC or a Wrangler. I'm leaning towards a Wrangler. I like the YJ's, a real good friend of mine (mudmann105) has one and that thing is solid as a rock. I'm looking for a 4.0L 5 speed, with less than 100k miles (although it's not that big a deal) and a relatively new clutch. I'm probably not going to put a lift kit on, so it would be nice to find one that already has one. I'm probably only going to put some nice wheels on and a winch. I also have a garage so I'm looking to work and service it myself. How sturdy is the stock roll bar? If I'm offroading, would that be something I would want to strengthen up? What do you guys think? All comments/advice/questions would be great. Thanks.

-BMWGARY

Unread 02-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the stock roll cage isn't the best protection in the event of a roll-over. unfortunately there's no easy way to strengthen it without going to a fully independant cage. the 4.0 you want should come with the family style roll bar which is better then the ones from early models though. good luck finding one with less then 100K!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Killer Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
the stock roll cage isn't the best protection in the event of a roll-over. unfortunately there's no easy way to strengthen it without going to a fully independant cage. the 4.0 you want should come with the family style roll bar which is better then the ones from early models though. good luck finding one with less then 100K!
Mines a 2.5.... but I got it for 5k with 50k miles on it and in great condition, no rust/dents/scratches with a soft top and a bikini top :>

The deals are out there, just gota look for them.
Going to add:
3 1/2" Suspension Lift
1 or 2" Body Lift
Killer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2004, 12:07 AM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Angel
Mines a 2.5.... but I got it for 5k with 50k miles on it and in great condition, no rust/dents/scratches with a soft top and a bikini top :>

The deals are out there, just gota look for them.
maybe out on the west coast. i looked for a full year around here and never found a single YJ with less then 120K. not to say that the jeeps won't last far beyond that though

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 02-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
Killer Angel

Quote:
maybe out on the west coast. i looked for a full year around here and never found a single YJ with less then 120K. not to say that the jeeps won't last far beyond that though
Yep, south cali :> Thats where its at.
Going to add:
3 1/2" Suspension Lift
1 or 2" Body Lift
Killer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Angel
Yep, south cali :> Thats where its at.
lol. land of non salted roads and perpetual summer. as long as an earthquake doesn't bury your jeep under a building you're golden

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 02-15-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about the mileage, worry about the condition of the Jeep. I bought a 107K Jeep that was in FAR better shape than an 80K Jeep I looked at. Be concerned about engine/transmission condition, and rust. Those are the main things. Rust is killer on these vehicles.

Good Luck,
Drew

Quote:
lol. land of non salted roads and perpetual summer. as long as an earthquake doesn't bury your jeep under a building you're golden
Unread 02-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
camperguy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGARY

Here's the deal, I'm trying to buy a project car in the spring and I've narrowed it down to two cars. A VW Corrado SLC or a Wrangler. I'm leaning towards a Wrangler. I like the YJ's, a real good friend of mine (mudmann105) has one and that thing is solid as a rock. I'm looking for a 4.0L 5 speed, with less than 100k miles (although it's not that big a deal) and a relatively new clutch. I'm probably not going to put a lift kit on, so it would be nice to find one that already has one. I'm probably only going to put some nice wheels on and a winch. I also have a garage so I'm looking to work and service it myself. How sturdy is the stock roll bar? If I'm offroading, would that be something I would want to strengthen up? What do you guys think? All comments/advice/questions would be great. Thanks.

-BMWGARY

Sell the Beemer and buy a Rubicon

Bill
2004 Rubicon,5.5" Rockkrawler Long arm,37"Boggers,Warn Front and rear Rockcrawler bumpers,Warn spare holder,Stinger/hood bar,Warn XD9000I,Jeeperman Skidz,Jeepmedic oil/trans skid plate,ARB Safari Snorkel,AEM Dryflow,Gale Banks Stinger,JBA header,Edge TrailJammer TB+ECM,Superior 5.13`s,Warn Diff Gaurds,Super 44 rear w/33spline alloys and detroit locker,BW Pocket style flares, Rock Gear soft top,Trans cooler,Amsoil synthetics....
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
BMWGARY

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy
Sell the Beemer and buy a Rubicon

Bill
LOL, nah dude, I couldn't live without my bimmer. Plus, i'm just looking for a jeep as a project car, not a daily driver.
Unread 02-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #10
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

stock rollin

your choices seem sound. contrary to popular belief the factory roll bar is quite adequite for protection. ive seen a rollover and it held up fine. the jeep went over about 6 times at good speed down an embankment. the only noticable thing was it leaned alittle to the side and the windshield frame was tweeked but held up. ive seen some other vehicles after the roll and they all held. its popular to weld in an emmence cage, but for most people and the wheeling that we do, this is completely unnecessary and even slightly more dangerous. if you look at the project section of this forum you will see an entry with a ton of pictures of a cage being built. this looks cool but you have to figure how much heavywall tubing you are welding towards the top of your vehicle. all thats going to weigh alot. i do fabrication and it adds up fast. people also like tieing in the tubing to the frame. this can cause all kinds of problems, like affecting natural frame flex and binding against the body. it can also shear through the body if bolted from either side. people also run bars in dangerous places like the handle hoops. these look cool but in an impact you might put your head into one of those. also in an accident tubing running horzontal can buckle, if a designated crumple area is not established it could bend in an unfortunate area and cause bodily harm. all of this is really probably a long shot from happening but they are things to conscider. if you plan to add to the roll protection make sure to do alot of research, and steer clear of "driveway engineers" and have fun.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #11
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
contrary to popular belief the factory roll bar is quite adequite for protection.
it all depends on how the jeep rolls. for the most part it's strong enough to take a tumble or two, but if you're out on the rocks where the ground is uneven then i wouldn't trust it. I've seen two where the corner of the windshield takes a hit and crumples. on one the windshield frame was pushed right back around over top the steering wheel. clip a boulder in the wrong place and suddenly the cage isn't that stong anymore. you're right though, for most people it's enough. but if you're gonna build it, build it for rock crawling cause that's the most demanding/dangerous of all types of wheeling. if you can stand up to that, you can stand up to anything.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 02-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #12
BMWGARY

what do you guys think of this wrangler?

jeep for sale

a bit out of my price range for this project but something along those lines.

oh, how come my picture doesn't show up in my sig?
Unread 02-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would pay that price for it if it was a real cherry. And by that, I mean LITTLE RUST. For that price it better be a real cherry. For comparison, I got a 2.5L 1994 with 107K and very little rust for 3,800.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGARY

-BMWGARY
Unread 02-15-2004, 08:18 PM   #14
BMWGARY

drew2000, where in centreville are you? I'm in little rocky run, right across from Centreville high school.
Unread 02-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #15
RideRed04

Quote:
Actually the older roll cages were stronger. Due to triangulation, the cage is strong, but offers no rear protection and no place to put a shoulder belt. Starting in 92, there was a law that the rear seats had to have shoulder belts (something along those lines), so jeep went to the "family cage".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.