Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Frankenstein... V8/D60/SOA Build

8K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Tompatt 
#1 ·
This thread will consist of all the "little things" that I have done and will do to my rig. I bought this 87 YJ in May 2006 and it sat for a year in this condition while I was doing a tour in Korea. It had an I6, 30 inch tires, 30/35 combo, 5 speed, and very little rust. I spent a year reading JF and deciding what I wanted to do.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome back, we're looking forward to posts and pictures as you progress on your build.

#9 ·
After begging the wife for the truck and not telling her that I had plans to scrap it, I knew I had to rethink my build plans. The 8.8 was obviously not going to be used and the wheels that i bought used would not fit the hp44/60 combo. I was also pondering with the "idea" of just going SOA at this point. I even managed to get the wife to help me work on it little

Attachments

#11 ·
I sold the 8.8, 5 lug wheels with mounted 35s, and give the rest of the truck to an old man to scrap and then the build took a twist. The wife became pregnant and wanted to move back home 5 hrs away to be close to her family. I found a job there and the move was on except that my YJ was still not close to being finished. I found a local guy who owned a garage and we worked out a deal for him to put in the drivetrain and do a quality SOA for me. I traded the BDS 3.5 inch springs for some BDS 2 inch springs from the local vendor with no questions asked (thanks Dennis) and traded the 400 that was in the f250 for a freshly rebuilt 302. I am now running a 302/C6/205 combo. (pics to come)

#14 ·
This is how it currently sits with 2" BDS SOA, MORE 5/8 Boomerang shackles, DOM high steer, 302/C6/205, and 35" BFG ATs on eagle alloys. I still have a lot of loose ends to tie up like wiring and painting but overall I am very happy. I just drove it 330 miles and it rides smoother than my mazda pickup. My wife followed me home because my speedo doesn't work and she said I was doing 80-85 at times and I had pedal left. I can't wait to get a day off to work on it.

Attachments

#18 ·
Now I need some help. What should the normal operating temp for a 302 be? It was running hot and boiling water out of the overflow bottle yesterday so I changed the thermostat today and it didn't overflow but the temp got up to around 230-240 after about a 10 min drive.

#20 ·
It should never run above 220. Depending on use , dd or trail , I personally would throw a 160 therm. in there. Run it as cool as possible. I f there is an issue with getting the cab heated then a 190 would probably suffice. It doesn't appear to be a daily driver from what I can see though. BTW I'm jealous as can be you lucky ***tard! That is a sweet looking crate! The same set up I would do,everything, if Iwas doing a build up from the start.

#23 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys, I have a very understanding wife that didn't kill me after the 100th time I told her "I am finished spending money on it." I put a 160 Thermostat in yesterday and it still runs hot. I am going to check the radiator flow and see how that is and I also need to get a fan shroud because I am sure that will help.

#24 · (Edited)
Are you running an electric fan or a belt driven one? If you put an electric one on there it may help. Then you can do a sweet 3G 130 amp alternator swap from a Taurus to help with the extra power draw. I did it on my Bronco with an electric fan and lights and I am still pulling 14.5 volts. Check out rjminjectiontech.com for a really simple swap harness, one wire. I bought one and super simple to install.

#25 ·
Yes , yes , to the elec. fan. Very efficient with a variable relay. You can set your on time like that. I don't even run with a shroud because of spacing issues but I have never gotten it above 215 with a stock therm in it. Definitely check the radiator flow and the water pump too! You got some kind of cooling system issues there! Looks like 1 bad mofo!

#26 ·
When you put the rocker guards on and pulled the dog leg part of the front flare off how did you finish the opened part at the rear of the flare off? Is it still open at the end? By the photo it's hard to tell but it appears to be sealed. Btw ,I gotta funny feelin' we're gonna see bigger tires on that thing in the future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.