This thread will consist of all the "little things" that I have done and will do to my rig. I bought this 87 YJ in May 2006 and it sat for a year in this condition while I was doing a tour in Korea. It had an I6, 30 inch tires, 30/35 combo, 5 speed, and very little rust. I spent a year reading JF and deciding what I wanted to do.
Once I seperated the body from the frame, I found that I had some small rust problems but nothing too bad. I was going to repair mine but I was offered a practically new one for $200 and jumped on it.......
At this point, I went and bought an 8.8, 35'MT ATs, and a BDS 3.5 inch lift kit so I was ready to go right?.....Of course not. I was driving down the road and saw this..
A 79 F250 with a HP44/60 combo 33's and a 400Big Block
After begging the wife for the truck and not telling her that I had plans to scrap it, I knew I had to rethink my build plans. The 8.8 was obviously not going to be used and the wheels that i bought used would not fit the hp44/60 combo. I was also pondering with the "idea" of just going SOA at this point. I even managed to get the wife to help me work on it little
I removed the axles, motor, transmission, tcase, and anything else salvagable from the truck and had spring perches welded on the 60 and tried the 3.5 inch BDS springs in the beginning stages of the SOA. It was WAY TOO TALL.
I sold the 8.8, 5 lug wheels with mounted 35s, and give the rest of the truck to an old man to scrap and then the build took a twist. The wife became pregnant and wanted to move back home 5 hrs away to be close to her family. I found a job there and the move was on except that my YJ was still not close to being finished. I found a local guy who owned a garage and we worked out a deal for him to put in the drivetrain and do a quality SOA for me. I traded the BDS 3.5 inch springs for some BDS 2 inch springs from the local vendor with no questions asked (thanks Dennis) and traded the 400 that was in the f250 for a freshly rebuilt 302. I am now running a 302/C6/205 combo. (pics to come)
This is how it currently sits with 2" BDS SOA, MORE 5/8 Boomerang shackles, DOM high steer, 302/C6/205, and 35" BFG ATs on eagle alloys. I still have a lot of loose ends to tie up like wiring and painting but overall I am very happy. I just drove it 330 miles and it rides smoother than my mazda pickup. My wife followed me home because my speedo doesn't work and she said I was doing 80-85 at times and I had pedal left. I can't wait to get a day off to work on it.