Project Code Name "Olive" 56k enter at own risk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Code Name "Olive" 56k enter at own risk

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Project Code Name "Olive"

Well let me introduce myself first. My name is Bob and I am a Jeep nut.

I have owned 2 Wranglers in the past a 95 that I installed a 4" Trailmaster lift and alot of my own goodies on. I sold that one off about 10 years ago because just had to have a blue Dodge Stealth RT, gotta love the twin turbo AWD. Met my wife in that car cruising the "strip" something about that car.

The second was an 02 with 6" and 35's, warn bumpers, blah, blah and some blah.

Current project is another 95 I loved my first one, everyone remembers there first time. It was just an awakening that happened in that thing. I have not been the same since owning a Jeep.

Well onward bound for my journey that lies ahead. My current one was a little rusty when I got it through trade. I use the term little as a broad term. A teaser pic of the rust I had to deal with.

Yeah a little rust my Northern Ohio salt covered roads, right they say. This thing was wasted. I was actually worried when I started opening it up. But the frame was in decent shape for my area of expenditure which was an 83 F-150 that I had up for trade, which had seen a long unhealthy relationship with the salt in it's time. I had an sweet tooth for it too I think.

The thing I did like about this Jeep was the fact it had a 4" lift already (mind you it has sagged and sits at about 3" now) 33" BFG AT's and a 4.0, Ax15 combo. Which is what my first 95 was, it even has the Hurst style "T" shift handle like my first did.

Here is a couple pics of how it looked when I got it. Note the custom "flat" fenders made with some street signs. Not my cup of tea.

The red stripe of what the PO called sheetmetal at the bottom was actually 1/8" plate covering all the huge rust holes hidden behind. I knew why it was there I have been down this road before. What lied beneath.

I would deal with this all in the end.

The windshield was non existent, my wife and son rode in this almost an hour back to our home. Real troopers they are, thank God they had their glasses on.

Gotta love a woman that is willing to ride behind that for an hour and never "B*@*%" once about it. Looked over at her on the drive and she would smile, she knew I would fix it soon enough and She couldn't slap the grin off my face at that given moment.

The mount for the windshield frame was shot as well.

Like a surgeon prepping in time of need I was build my strength for the mission that lie ahead, the more I dug the more I saw this was not just flesh wounds but a trauma case. I would have to dig deep on this one, and must have it done before the snow flies in Han**** County.

The oil pressure was not steady on my way home with her. It would go from 5psi. to 40 psi. I figured the oil bypass spring was going on it, or the pump which could all be check when I pulled the pinholed rusty oil pan down.

Which I cleaned "J-b welded" and painted back up. I am doing this all on a budget and have to stay within it. plus the rust was not internal on pan just 2 pinholes which I ground to bare clean metal.

After installing the new Melling high-volume pump my oil pressure now sits at 35-40 idle. I am happy with that. 55-60 at 2000 rpm.

I knew I would be needing more parts than I could afford so I set forth finding a parts Jeep I could get. I ended up finding an 89 4 cyl 5 spd. I traded my 78 Yamaha XS650 for this Jeep. The bike had a hole in the right piston it had decided to do this on way home from looking at the Jeep I ended up trading it for.

(It had fenders on the front I stole them and didn't take a pic of that)

Since I have given away the secret of the fenders here you go. I stripped "Olive" of her front skirts to give way to legs that had not been shaven in many years. I had to break out 80 grit to rid her of the nasty appendages growing below.

After a whole weekend of cleaning, patching with steel, and painting. Olive actually had rather sexy legs up front again.

Now on to the sight glass on the front. I need glass on there or I would not see for long. I had to rebuild the windshield mount on her again. This task for involve the red steed placed outside my garage.

There was alot more weld involved than shown in pics. I have a hard time stopping to take pictures while working, that would involve washing my hands of there hard earned dirt.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 11-03-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed pictures
bbjsw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

awesome work so far man! keep those pics coming!
autoboy454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

me likey... you keep it coming...I can't believe you actually got that rust bucket
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now for a break from body work, the tach and dash lights did not work properly. I figured a broken wire and some bulbs, Man was I ever wrong on this one. I pulled it out and found the ribbon cable has about a horse stall worth of mud and leaves in it. I dig this out and find that the cable has corroded in two.

I walk out to the 89 thinking I would just swap gauges. OHH no the Jeep Gods say "We have changed the gauges at some time unknown to me." Me growing up with a dad that was a machinist during the day and an electronics repairman at night has its' benefits. I break out the solder gun know I have seen this before on my dad's home work bench.

I put in jumpers past the bad sections, installed some new bulbs and fire her up. To my surprise it doesn't work, I thought for sure I had it. I dug deeper and find that the PO had cut said tach wire behind dash to install his little old Sunpro tach. Fixed the plug and reinstalled, Woo Hoo it works this time, Thank You God.
It was bugging me, why have an aftermarket tach when one is in the dash.

On to the lower rockers and the holes that lie beneath.

Also the cab corners where shot as well.

Yes I know winning the battle not the war. I am after a 4 year Jeep here. I am buying an 07 Civic Si for my wife and when that is paid off. A nicer Jeep for me is the plan.

I also lost some progress in picture taking. I tend to skip some things from time to time.

I installed the 4.10 axles from the 89. Which should be great with the 33's and AX15. The old axles were 3.07 and 5th was a joke. I also broke the rear brake line doing this which I found out 2 minutes later didn't need to be disconnected. Moral of that story calm down take your time.

Progress pics of it with the red one's windshield on "Olive" and a few other parts.

And many hours and weeks later. I missed atleast 2 weeks of work with the camera sorry everyone.

I got some paint on her finally, You also learn why I named her "Olive"

Next time I shall reveal it to you.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 11-03-2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Fixed pictures
bbjsw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work by raising Olive from the grips of the rust gods.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
dillman88

pics aren't showing at the very end....great build though! I think most people who found that much rust would just quit, you did a good job dealing with all of that.
dillman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

holy crap! I'm glad to be in the desert.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
tonythehazelnut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's awesome!
Built Not Bought #482

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
tonythehazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

great work man.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillman88 View Post
pics aren't showing at the very end....great build though! I think most people who found that much rust would just quit, you did a good job dealing with all of that.
I have not loaded them up yet letting the suspense build. I thought about giving up on her for about a day, it was kicking my ***. Will upload pics tonight when I get home.
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to swap out the roll bars.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Don't forget to swap out the roll bars.
I have the family cage in, I don't like the sport ones especially with an 8 year old son.
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent job! I need to do the right rear corner piece myself. Your pics show exactly what I need to do! Thanks!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

While I applaud your work (very nice BTW), I must question if it would have been easier/less time consuming to swap the newer '95 drivetrain into the older, but seemingly far less rusty '89? Instead of swapping pieces of the '89 onto the rust bucket '95? Not trying to be a wiseass, the frame could be swiss cheese on the 89 for all I know, but just a question.

I don't think you mentioned, how many miles on the 95?
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I have the family cage in, I don't like the sport ones especially with an 8 year old son.
Well whatever floats your boat

The build looks great so far. I was really shocked when I first saw that first pic.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.