"project Cheap Jeep" - 5-6" Lift - Looking For Oem Shocks For "xx" Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "project Cheap Jeep" - 5-6" Lift - Looking For Oem Shocks For "xx" Lift

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Jeepwood
1993 YJ Wrangler 

"project Cheap Jeep" - 5-6" Lift - Looking For Oem Shocks For "xx" Lift

Is there a chart or reference guide, that states what OEM shocks will fit on a JEEP with "XX" amount of lift?

The reason is in the title, "PROJECT CHEAP JEEP"

EX.) I have a 94 YJ 5-6" lift (and want to save some cash on shocks, if I can).
What other vehicles would have similar shock travel as a YJ lifted 5-6"?

Thanks in advance.

One of the many "PROJECT CHEEP JEEP" owners.

Unread 11-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You want to buy shocks that are valved for a jeep or a vehicle of similar weight. If not, you'll sacrifice ride and handling. There are plenty of reasonably priced quality shocks out the designed for lifted jeeps. Cut corners elsewhere
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
1997_Sport

Yeah buy only three tires not four, and get the right shocks. hahaha

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to Monroe Shocks Spec sheet which includes the different styles, compressed and extended length. I don't think they will be that much cheaper:

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf

I found out my shocks are too short so I ordered some shock mounting tabs to weld on to the axle to give me another 3". Now I don't have to buy new ones. I'm with these guys though, going cheap is hard to do when you want to do it right.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
1997_Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
going cheap is hard to do when you want to do it right.
There is a quote to live by, honestly with what I read in your profile I would be afraid to ride in the jeep. If you want to go big, do it right, its not a look thing its about safety.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.