Project 1990 Islander YJ, Endless Summer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project 1990 Islander YJ, Endless Summer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
FJamin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Project 1990 Islander YJ, Endless Summer

Well I have always been a fan of wranglers, even though I drive an FJ, and wanted a project vehicle for the beach. So I picked up a new to me 1990 YJ Islander with 258 I6 and lots of rust which I dubbed project Endless summer since the decals sort of look like the endless summer logo.

Problems: drivers side door handle broken, fuel spikes at full, alternator busted, high idle, radio busted, dash rusted through, driverside floor was replaced with metal screws and aluminum, passenger seat broken and ripped, 4wd not working vac lines destroyed, rust holes on rocker pannel, rust holes where driver seat mounts,rust hole in fender, rust holes where steering box mounts to frame and crossmember where fuel tank mounts rusty.

FJamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Head to a boneyard and start rummaging for replacement parts, a few of the problems are related, high idle and old vac lines usually come together, the 4wd doesnt work cuz of the vac lines,it has a vac acuator, then grab a used alternator and get ready for alot of body work! you will be happy when its done yjs are fun to have
Rocky_Cosmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
FJamin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Installed new Alternator, now the blinkers work and the fuel gauge works when I hit it, then it spikes again, I look at the wiring when I get the dash off,

Starting to figgure out why people hate torx...
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
FJamin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just got done installing the new dash, the disassembly took two weeks while the reassembly took a few hours not including rust repair and paint, but wait now the windshield won't fold all the way back up, I did install a new windshield cowl seal but even before that it wasn't going all the way back up, I have it withing three inches of the roll bars after using a ratchet strap but the ratchet broke and now I'm stuck. On top of that I stripped another torx bit on the hold down bracket so I cant fold it back down, my screw extractors are useless cause apparently the bolts are made out diamonds and eat drill bits for breakfast, so what now?
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The new cowl seal always makes it hard to position the windshield back where it was. You can adjust the cross bars to make them longer if you want too, or just bolt the windshield down with the tabs and not the cross bars for now.

My windhield cowl seal flattened out a little after a few weeks then I was able to tighten things back up again easy.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.