problems when warming up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > problems when warming up

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

problems when warming up

Just recently my YJ has started having problems at start up. Them temp outside is in the 40's. When I start the jeep and shift into reverse it will lock in but as I come to a stop and just before I shift my RPM's drop and it lugs.. when the RPM's come back up the vehicle locks back into gear... sometimes kinda hard. Any ideas?

maxthegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

also

Any links to threads about fluids? What oil/gear/ trans fluid/ etc people are using that works well. Anything that absolutely doesn't work well?

This is my first old jeep. Bought it in Japan so getting information and parts is difficult. I have to order parts from the states.
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

go back and fill in your jeep profile a little better.. OEM transmission could be many... etc. We cant help you much if you dont help us know what you have.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK I have as much information on my profile as I can. I called Jeep to see what my original factory options were. Hopefully this will help to figure out the issue...

32RH transmission.

Someone said plugs. Going to pull them today if I can find a store here that carries the right ones. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Plugs did not work. They were wrong. The previous owner put shorter NGK plugs into the vehicle so I replaced the distributor, plug wires, and plugs. The jeep is still having issues in the cold with shifting. When I first start it and back out generally about the time I hit my brakes to put it in drive the RPM's just drop out. Within 2 seconds it comes back up and I will shift into drive. While driving sometimes in first gear it seems as if it slips out of gear as I get no power. After the jeep is warm I have no issues. Any suggestions?
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthegi View Post
Plugs did not work. They were wrong. The previous owner put shorter NGK plugs into the vehicle so I replaced the distributor, plug wires, and plugs. The jeep is still having issues in the cold with shifting. When I first start it and back out generally about the time I hit my brakes to put it in drive the RPM's just drop out. Within 2 seconds it comes back up and I will shift into drive. While driving sometimes in first gear it seems as if it slips out of gear as I get no power. After the jeep is warm I have no issues. Any suggestions?
My first suggestion is to check your transmission fluid level.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is probably your coolant temp sensor near the thermostat housing. That is the first place to start. I would also clean the throttlebody and the espcially the IAC.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/q...-body-1262267/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
maxthegi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate it. I will try cleaning this and let you know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.