Problems Turning over and starting in the mornings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems Turning over and starting in the mornings

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Klipsch20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Problems Turning over and starting in the mornings

So ive got a 2.5L I4 in my 91 yj and since it got cold in the mid-west I've had to pop start it, not only will it not start even after being on the battery charger for 3 hours, but i cant even jump start it, I've checked all the ground and other wires and everything is good, i just replaced the battery about three weeks ago and this new one has 580 cca. it will crank over and start just fine if its above 30-35 degrees, give or take. whats also weird is that once i start it once in the morning it starts up just as it should every time after that until the next morning, I'm completely stuck on this problem, any thoughts or ideas? I'm practically desperate at this point

Klipsch20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it crank over cold or is the starter inop?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Read this thread. Mine started doing this last year, so when I had the Jeep down to do my tube fenders I did the brain surgery at the same time.

It's easy and the parts are easy to get at Radio Shack.

It just may be your problem too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
johnnyboy559
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was turning over but wouldn't fire in the mornings, but then working just fine the rest of the day as you said. It was especially bad below freezing. I was always able to get it to fire, but only after about 10 minutes of trying. I knew I didn't have the issues with the computer that was linked above since I could hear my fuel pump turning on and I could see my check engine light turn on then off. I didn't have any codes and I also tried turning the key on and off to prime the system a few times but that didn't work.

For me, replacing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil completely solved my problem. I'm back to cranking over 2 or 3 times and it fires, even when it's cold.
johnnyboy559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Klipsch20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It just clicks once and doesn't do anything else. My radio will turn on and so will my heater and lights and such. Everything will turn on but it won't crank or fire. Could it be my starter?
Klipsch20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
litone12

Check your ground on the starter the little nut on mine likes to come loose if I crank too much.
litone12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
johnnyboy559
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should try a different relay and fuses first too, maybe they went bad. Way cheaper than a new starter.
johnnyboy559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipsch20 View Post
It just clicks once and doesn't do anything else. My radio will turn on and so will my heater and lights and such. Everything will turn on but it won't crank or fire. Could it be my starter?

Check the cables, both of them. They can be corroded down inside the insulation....
To check the starter, run a jumper cable straight to the hot lead on the solenoid.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , cold , starting , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.