Problems with idling 1992 wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with idling 1992 wrangler

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, time to replace the CEL bulb then and see if it will let you check the codes.
IAC:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...issues-894454/

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've replaced quite a few TPS, it's code 24 and causes it to run rough and sputter. Borg Warner TPS from O'Reilly's limited lifetime guarantee, but you'll need it. After replacing the original factory TPS I've gone through 4 since February. The last time I replaced it, a few weeks ago, it didn't throw a code, but it stalled out when I was driving in front of my house. Exchanged it for another new one and that one was bad right our of the box. I put it in and it threw a code 24, and ran rough. Exchanged it for another new one and ran great.

I don't know how much one from the dealership is, but probably well worth it.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalmeto View Post
I've replaced quite a few TPS, it's code 24 and causes it to run rough and sputter. Borg Warner TPS from O'Reilly's limited lifetime guarantee, but you'll need it. After replacing the original factory TPS I've gone through 4 since February. The last time I replaced it, a few weeks ago, it didn't throw a code, but it stalled out when I was driving in front of my house. Exchanged it for another new one and that one was bad right our of the box. I put it in and it threw a code 24, and ran rough. Exchanged it for another new one and ran great.

I don't know how much one from the dealership is, but probably well worth it.
Did you re-set the computer after you swapped the TPS each time? If not, then that was half the problem.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Did you re-set the computer after you swapped the TPS each time? If not, then that was half the problem.
Are you talking about disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together? If so, I did that.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalmeto View Post
Are you talking about disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together? If so, I did that.
In that case, I'm truly surprised - you must have somehow gotten a really bad batch of them - amazing bad luck!

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the bulb for the CEL?
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Still haven't fixed the problem tried everything
JeepCreep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am thinking along the lines of post #6, a weakened fuel pump.
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
HBJeepster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im gonna stick to my idea, I hate EGR's so heres the trick, find the vaccum line that goes to the EGR, PLUG IT ( the vaccum line that is.) 100% sealed, with like a screw or wooden match or something similiar.... Please get back to me, when its something like that, most of the time it will fix it. The way you test an EGR is stick your fingure into the bottom of the egr house you will find hole just big enough for maybe your pinky, stick your your pinky in there, raise rpm's fast and kinda high, feel for the diaphram to move it should move very noticable if little movement then its bad then plug it until you can afford to buy that stupid A$$ $117.99 part... Oh and by the way it may not fix the idle while sitting still but the stalling or near stalling while moving, you should see a big difference... -HBJEEPSTER
HBJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No egr on the MPFI. I asked earlier if you repaired the CEL. If not then you haven't tried everything yet.
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
No egr on the MPFI. I asked earlier if you repaired the CEL. If not then you haven't tried everything yet.
x2

The check engine light can really help narrow it down.

My CEL showed a bad tps and O2 sensor. Replaced both and runs great.

Tags
rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.