Problems with idling 1992 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with idling 1992 wrangler

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Problems with idling 1992 wrangler

I have a 92 yj wrangler and have been having rough idling issues, it only happens on occasion. When it does do it, it happens when I start it, the rpms drop to about 400-500 almost stalling but actually not dying,it also happens when I drop out of Gear coming up to a intersection it will randomly stall or nearly stall, I have changed my spark plugs, pcv valve,
And added seafoam to my gas tank to try to clean out anything. As the cause I suspect some kind of valve but to the exact cause I'm not sure. If you can help me please do, thanks

JeepCreep454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCreep454 View Post
I have a 92 yj wrangler and have been having rough idling issues, it only happens on occasion. When it does do it, it happens when I start it, the rpms drop to about 400-500 almost stalling but actually not dying,it also happens when I drop out of Gear coming up to a intersection it will randomly stall or nearly stall, I have changed my spark plugs, pcv valve,
And added seafoam to my gas tank to try to clean out anything. As the cause I suspect some kind of valve but to the exact cause I'm not sure. If you can help me please do, thanks
when was the last time you changed plug wires and distributor cap and rotor? I try to do that the same time i change my plugs.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

True what Tobias said about the cap and rotor. The only other thing I would suspect is to clean the throttle body, especially the IAC valve - its probably all gummed up. Just get it all squeaky clean and try it.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My spark wires, plugs, cap, and rotor were changed about 2 months ago and still look good. Today I took out my iac valve and got it shiny and also cleaned out my throttle body. At first I thought I had fixed it but I started it about six hours later and it was having a problem idling. I noticed a fairly large amount of carbon coming from my exhaust. I wondering if I might have got some bad gas, could it be causing low idle?
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My spark wires, plugs, cap, and rotor were changed about 2 months ago and still look good. Today I took out my iac valve and got it shiny and also cleaned out my throttle body. At first I thought I had fixed it but I started it about six hours later and it was having a problem idling. I noticed a fairly large amount of carbon coming from my exhaust. I wondering if I might have got some bad gas, could it be causing low idle?
The large amount of carbon is a huge clue - its running too rich. Have you checked for error codes from the computer? Bad gas wouldn't do that.

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A couple of toher items to check are...
- O2 sensor. If bad it can cause it to run rich
- Fuel rail pressure. A failing fuel pump or pressure regulator could be the culprit.

I had funky stalling problems on my 92 YJ that happened occasionally for a couple of years.
Turned out to be a failing fuel pump. The fuel rail pressure was marginal and then would slowly drop causing the engine to run rough and sometimes stall.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had the codes checked when I bought it, about 3months ago and it didn't throw a code, but now I cant find anyone that run diagnostics
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had the codes checked when I bought it, about 3months ago and it didn't throw a code, but now I cant find anyone that run diagnostics
You can check the codes yourself, no tools required. Here's a video that shows how:

Give it a try. Hope that helps!

Unread 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That would work great if my check engine light worked haha
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would work great if my check engine light worked haha
It doesn't even come on when you turn the key? Even walmart has the light bulbs for that
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

One thing to check is your vac lines .I had one that was cracked right behind the carb took me forever to find that little bad boy.I only heard it when the engine was reving.I would check the other things the others said too can't hurt anyway.
It runs a whole lot better since finding it.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your TPS might be screwy too. The wife's was in her GC and it didn't ever throw a code. Swapped it with a new one and it has been perfect ever since.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a TPS fail, but I don't think it would cause stalling or low idle, it tricks the computer into thinking you're pressing the accelerator more or less than you are. It was actually a pretty funny problem (surging on the highway).

It sounds more to me like your vehicle speed sensor may be malfunctioning. If it's not sending a good signal when you pop it out of gear to come to a stop, the computer doesn't know how fast to drop to idle. You can easily test this by coming to a stop and pop it out of gear. Before you physically stop, watch your idle--should be around 1000-1100 rpms. Once the wheels fully stop, it should drop to about 800.

Also, bulbs are easy to replace on the dash for the check engine light. It should come on for 3 seconds when you first key on your ignition.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey JC, if you are not seeing the CEL when you turn the key on then you need to start there. if the bulb is good on the CEL then it's an indication of a problem with the ECU. Do you have a difficult time starting it in the morning?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
JeepCreep454
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No not at all it starts like a champ

Tags
rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.