JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Problems with idling 1992 wrangler (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/problems-idling-1992-wrangler-1260886/)

JeepCreep454 09-03-2011 11:39 PM

Problems with idling 1992 wrangler

I have a 92 yj wrangler and have been having rough idling issues, it only happens on occasion. When it does do it, it happens when I start it, the rpms drop to about 400-500 almost stalling but actually not dying,it also happens when I drop out of Gear coming up to a intersection it will randomly stall or nearly stall, I have changed my spark plugs, pcv valve,
And added seafoam to my gas tank to try to clean out anything. As the cause I suspect some kind of valve but to the exact cause I'm not sure. If you can help me please do, thanks

tobias94yj 09-04-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreep454 (Post 12121800)
I have a 92 yj wrangler and have been having rough idling issues, it only happens on occasion. When it does do it, it happens when I start it, the rpms drop to about 400-500 almost stalling but actually not dying,it also happens when I drop out of Gear coming up to a intersection it will randomly stall or nearly stall, I have changed my spark plugs, pcv valve,
And added seafoam to my gas tank to try to clean out anything. As the cause I suspect some kind of valve but to the exact cause I'm not sure. If you can help me please do, thanks

when was the last time you changed plug wires and distributor cap and rotor? I try to do that the same time i change my plugs.

oldtime_ironman 09-04-2011 04:34 AM

True what Tobias said about the cap and rotor. The only other thing I would suspect is to clean the throttle body, especially the IAC valve - its probably all gummed up. Just get it all squeaky clean and try it.

JeepCreep454 09-05-2011 01:06 AM

My spark wires, plugs, cap, and rotor were changed about 2 months ago and still look good. Today I took out my iac valve and got it shiny and also cleaned out my throttle body. At first I thought I had fixed it but I started it about six hours later and it was having a problem idling. I noticed a fairly large amount of carbon coming from my exhaust. I wondering if I might have got some bad gas, could it be causing low idle?

oldtime_ironman 09-05-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreep454 (Post 12125933)
My spark wires, plugs, cap, and rotor were changed about 2 months ago and still look good. Today I took out my iac valve and got it shiny and also cleaned out my throttle body. At first I thought I had fixed it but I started it about six hours later and it was having a problem idling. I noticed a fairly large amount of carbon coming from my exhaust. I wondering if I might have got some bad gas, could it be causing low idle?

The large amount of carbon is a huge clue - its running too rich. Have you checked for error codes from the computer? Bad gas wouldn't do that.

kloppk 09-05-2011 07:22 AM

A couple of toher items to check are...
- O2 sensor. If bad it can cause it to run rich
- Fuel rail pressure. A failing fuel pump or pressure regulator could be the culprit.

I had funky stalling problems on my 92 YJ that happened occasionally for a couple of years.
Turned out to be a failing fuel pump. The fuel rail pressure was marginal and then would slowly drop causing the engine to run rough and sometimes stall.

JeepCreep454 09-05-2011 10:56 AM

I had the codes checked when I bought it, about 3months ago and it didn't throw a code, but now I cant find anyone that run diagnostics

oldtime_ironman 09-05-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreep454 (Post 12127261)
I had the codes checked when I bought it, about 3months ago and it didn't throw a code, but now I cant find anyone that run diagnostics

You can check the codes yourself, no tools required. Here's a video that shows how:

Give it a try. Hope that helps!

JeepCreep454 09-05-2011 05:26 PM

That would work great if my check engine light worked haha

oldtime_ironman 09-05-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreep454 (Post 12128971)
That would work great if my check engine light worked haha

It doesn't even come on when you turn the key? Even walmart has the light bulbs for that

ejeeperguy 09-05-2011 05:38 PM

One thing to check is your vac lines .I had one that was cracked right behind the carb took me forever to find that little bad boy.I only heard it when the engine was reving.I would check the other things the others said too can't hurt anyway.
It runs a whole lot better since finding it.

UZI4U 09-05-2011 06:45 PM

Your TPS might be screwy too. The wife's was in her GC and it didn't ever throw a code. Swapped it with a new one and it has been perfect ever since.

Fenix85182 09-05-2011 07:15 PM

I had a TPS fail, but I don't think it would cause stalling or low idle, it tricks the computer into thinking you're pressing the accelerator more or less than you are. It was actually a pretty funny problem (surging on the highway).

It sounds more to me like your vehicle speed sensor may be malfunctioning. If it's not sending a good signal when you pop it out of gear to come to a stop, the computer doesn't know how fast to drop to idle. You can easily test this by coming to a stop and pop it out of gear. Before you physically stop, watch your idle--should be around 1000-1100 rpms. Once the wheels fully stop, it should drop to about 800.

Also, bulbs are easy to replace on the dash for the check engine light. It should come on for 3 seconds when you first key on your ignition.

Que89YJ 09-06-2011 09:21 AM

Hey JC, if you are not seeing the CEL when you turn the key on then you need to start there. if the bulb is good on the CEL then it's an indication of a problem with the ECU. Do you have a difficult time starting it in the morning?

JeepCreep454 09-06-2011 04:08 PM

No not at all it starts like a champ

The time now is 12:43 PM.